Connecting to a wireless network "N"

Last Updated:

1. coreymcl

coreymcl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I received my NexusOne and tried to connect to my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router. The NexusOne does not see my "N" network on my "G" network.

Has anybody else been able to connect to a "N" wireless network?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

Mine successfully connected to my N router (DLINK DIR655) without issue. speed test showed 6.5MB down and .9MB up. couldnt get anywhere near that on my MT3G

3. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't your DL/UL speeds be faster on N? Those are the kinds of speeds on getting on my DROID that doesn't have N.

4. t-mizzle

t-mizzle Well-Known Member

It depends on what the speed is at his home or whatever wifi he's connecting to. You can't expect 20MB down if his DSL or cable package is 10 MB down & 1 MB up

5. xtop

xtop Well-Known Member

connected via G, right? ;)

6. WishBone

WishBone Member

If I'm not mistaken, the "N" speeds are really more for your internal networking (such as transferring files) and allowing the 5ghz band. This probably will not produce a noticeable difference in your internet speeds while using a browser or downloading.

You must have an "N" capable router and you may have your network hidden in some way. You should be able to access it by typing in the network name and password (case sensitive) and also the correct encryption (WEP, WPA, etc)

7. Dendore

Dendore Well-Known Member

The n1 max data transfer speed is 7.5mb down... 6.5 sounds about right.

So you won't even get G speeds so why does it matter.

Now the DIR655 is n&g by default iirc, but it only does 2.4ghz so again it doesn't
    matter.

Now I assume by N the OP means a 5ghz N network. The n1 is supposed to see 5ghz so why it wouldn't I couldn't answer you as I don't have a dual band router to test it with.

8. Maxx

Maxx Well-Known Member

9. WishBone

WishBone Member

Yes, I also read that the N1 has an "N" capable chip, again though you will probably not see any gain with this over "G" using internet.

I noticed another thread that a person could access nor even see open networks which leads me to believe the phone may be defective or something in the settings is disabled.

10. TaeKwonDonkey

TaeKwonDonkey Active Member

Where in there does it say that there's a FM transmitter? I couldn't find it

11. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

FM & Wireless N are not enabled. You can connect to a Wireless N router, but your connection will be Wireless G.

@coreymcl - If your Airport Extreme is set to N only then your N1 will not be able to see it or connect to it.

12. JoeIndy

JoeIndy Member

It appears that it only supports 2.4Ghz. The N standard allows it to operate at either 2.4Ghz (same as B and G) or 5 Ghz (same as A). If you are running your 802.11n network at 5GHz, it won't show up. This is based on my testing at home.

13. Maxx

Maxx Well-Known Member

14. ecb

ecb Well-Known Member

15. coreymcl

coreymcl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can confirm that once I switched my router from 5GHz to 2.4GHz 802.11 N only it now works. Using Speed Test app I'm getting 9937 kbps down and 1486 kbps up.

On a side note the Google Spec page originally listed the N1 having support for WIFI 802.11 b/g/n now only shows b/g.