• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting to PC

billenium

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
Okay so lets see...

I installed the drivers listed in the topic at the top, I clicked mass storage as my option when i connected the phone, i mounted it by bringing down the drop down menu at the top of the phone (and hitting mount)....

but when i connect it to my computer, I get nothing.

I used to get an error message saying "There has been a malfunction with your USB device" in the lower right hand corner.

I'm running Windows 7 32bit.

I also tried on a Windows XP 32bit computer.

As in... no sound, no pop-up... nothing at all?

Check out my post in the USB drivers thread to see how I got it working. I initially had a mis-mash of the vanilla SGS & Captivate drivers which (I believe) caused my issue.

I tried to download the drivers posted/updated at the top of the tread but I wasn't able to. It took me to another site, I even signed up for that site adn I still couldn't get the drivers.

Upvote 0
The bottom two are the ones I was referring to, i downloaded this driver and not having any luck with it.

SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2.zip

correct, I couldn't download the drivers from Softpedia. I'm assuming they are the ones that people are having success with. Is signed up for a Softpedia account and was still getting tossed around that site without having the ability to download the drivers. thx

Upvote 0
This driver is behaving in the same fashion as the previous one. If I connect the phone as Mass Storage I get a message in the upper right hand corner of the Samsung kies application telling me to connect the device using (PC studio) Samsung Kies Mode… and when I do that the phone just keeps flashing MTP application and kies never finds the phone….

Upvote 0
I had the exact same problem multiple computers and different cables. Ended up getting the phone replaced. I've also seen it with the new one. I'm starting to think it's an issue with the software rather than the hardware because it charges fine.

[FONT=&quot]I think so as well but some people are able to get it to work, must be some unique setting or driver that causing the conflict and I'm unable to root cause it..Too many things/drivers couple be causing this and to be honest I spent way too much time on trying to make it work. I could've been doing things that are more productive/relaxing. Samsung should have included some type of an app. for the U.S market that handles the two way sync[/FONT]

Upvote 0
1. Follow this guide, you dont have to follow after it says connecting to mac...

How Can I Connect My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To My Macbook To Use Mass Storage?

2. Before you plug your phone into your pc download this zip: SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2 , probably the same file linked already

3. Unzip the zip file to place you can find it, I usually do desktop

4.plug in your phone, if you followed the guide, your samsung and pc should comunicate and it should start searching for drivers, when it prompts you for a disc, click the use the other method(browse).
-find the unzipped folder, and simply click the folder and tell it to search, it will find the right driver for you. You may have to do this twice.

5. After windows tells you the drivers are installed and your device is ready to use, with your phone still connected to your pc, go on your phone, pull down the notification tab at the top of your screen(where your new messages, call log, emails etc etc,comes up). Tap the Usb tab, and it will ask you if you want to mount your samsung, click yes and go back to your pc, the autoplay mass storage will now initialize and you can get into your galaxy.

:step 5 is also in the guide i link, where it says connect to your mac.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones