• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting To PC

How do I connect my Galaxy Note 10.1 to PC.
PC is running Win 8 64 bit version.
I was expecting to just plug it in and it would see the note as a "Mass Storage Device" and show in Computer window, but no.
All I want to do is copy some files to the 32gb External SD card.
On first connection it did do the installation process as I expected, but note did not show in computer window, looking in "Safely remove etc." on opening devices I see it is listed as GT-N8010 with status as "Needs Trouble Shooting" I tried the trouble shooting process but still no joy.
I then came to the forum and did some searching around and found item about USB Debugging, so I turned that on but seems to be the same, so now I need someone to help me sort this.
Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to reply.
Cheers Dave T

You can move files wirelessly and easily by using Airdoid (free from Play store)

You can also pop out the Ex SD card, load it up, and reinsert (for me, seems much faster than messing with a cable).

Doesn't answer your original question, but hopefully these are viable options. :)

I was expecting to just plug it in and it would see the note as a "Mass Storage Device" and show in Computer window, but no.
On first connection it did do the installation process as I expected, but note did not show in computer window, looking in "Safely remove etc." on opening devices I see it is listed as GT-N8010 with status as "Needs Trouble Shooting" I tried the trouble shooting process but still no joy.
I then came to the forum and did some searching around and found item about USB Debugging, so I turned that on but seems to be the same, so now I need someone to help me sort this.
Cheers Dave T

Upvote 0
Yes13ilgal I'm beginning to think that removing the card is the easy option, shouldn't be really, but there you go.

Szadzik, don't like kies at all, I find it unreliable and slows pc down, too much back ground activity even when not opened. Samsung should get a meddle for creating the most unfriendly interface program ever for this piece of crap. So I do not have it installed on my PC.

Anyway thanks to you both for replying.
Dave T

Upvote 0
Give AirDroid a try - it's everything Kies should be but isn't, and it only runs when you activate it.

Yes13ilgal I'm beginning to think that removing the card is the easy option, shouldn't be really, but there you go.

Szadzik, don't like kies at all, I find it unreliable and slows pc down, too much back ground activity even when not opened. Samsung should get a meddle for creating the most unfriendly interface program ever for this piece of crap. So I do not have it installed on my PC.

Anyway thanks to you both for replying.
Dave T

Upvote 0
The problem could be the fact that not many company write programs for 64 bit windows.
You will need to see if you can run the samsung app in 32bit mode.
With XP there was an option when you right click the program to do this.
I have not had win 8 64 bit so I can tell you but yoy can search the windows knowledge base
Or technet to find out.
Or as stated setup the wifi option.

Upvote 0
Cheers Dave T

Just install KIES ,it will install the nessesary drivers

Upvote 0
I (like many others) hate kies, it has got to be one of the most resource hungry piece's of software ever written, it has a difficult user interface, and as I see it, it's only useful purpose is for doing firmware updates/reinstalls.
I would rather deliberately download and install a virus than install kies.
Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for publishing this piece of S**t
I will carry on removing the SD card from the tablet, do what I need to do, and put it back.... simplesssss

Upvote 0
I bought the Samsung 30 pin to usb dongle that works ok with all my USB devices.

However, when I connect my Win7 x64 pc with the usb cable I was sold the Note 10.1 is never recognized.

Could someone please tell me what the proper USB to use is.

Is it

1) a plain USB A male to USB A male cable?

or

2) I was sold a usb cable with electronics and leds in between the ends and a cd with drivers to load.

If someone could post links to the cable that works for them that would be a help.

Thanks .

Upvote 0
Cheers Dave T

This problem is same when i connect my sg note to windows xp sp 3 version 2002. No removable disk detected when connect to pc and when i used samsung kies, it say "MTP problem".

Upvote 0
I usually use BT for transferring files between a laptop and a note - i think it's easiest way to do that.
But slow transfer rates. Definitely avoid using it if I am transferring huge files.

And since ICS, they got rid of the mass storage and went with MTP. That's why you can't see it as a mass storage device. It is using MTP and will be recognized as a device on the computer (not mass storage).

I installed KIES only to get the proper drivers installed to work on my system (Win7 x64 Ultimate). Both Note 2 and Note 10.1 work okay so far when plugged in and both are seen as MTP devices on the computer.

Upvote 0
Cheers Dave T
Try Samsung Kies with only reason to obtain correct drivers. You can uninstall it later.
Another method is to enable Usb debugging in General settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones