Connecting Via USBSupport

Last Updated:

1. DonkMoronko

DonkMoronko New Member

Hey guys,

Been having a problem connecting my Galaxy Portal via the USB cable. I connected it successfully once, right after I bought it, and was able to put music on it, and all that stuff. I know about the notification bar that should drop down when you connect it with the USB, and setting it to Mass Storage mode and stuff .. but recently its just simply not been registering that it's even connected at all.

When I plug the USB into the phone all that happens is that it charges! There's no notification noise when its connected, the battery symbol just switches to charge mode and the mass storage symbol does not appear on the notification bar.

If anyone has any ideas/similar problems, advice'd be much appreciated

Thanks,

DM.

Advertisement
  2. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

Do you have the phone PC software loaded?
    Have you changed any phone settings, mainly the 'usb mass storage only' option?
    Does you PC play the 'connection' sound when you connect the phone?
    Have you tried using a different USB port?
  3. DonkMoronko

DonkMoronko New Member

I do have the phone PC software loaded.
    I've not changed any of the phone settings to do with usb mass storage.
    The PC doesn't play the connection sound when I connect the phone, but it plays my "notification" sound when I disconnect it.
    I've tried 3 different USB ports.
  4. mug2k

mug2k Active Member

I'm having the exact same problem.
  5. XplosiV

Why exactly do you wasn't it connected to your pc? If you just want to transfer files, take the micro sd card out the phone and use the adapter that came with it.
  6. mug2k

mug2k Active Member

I personally want to flash mine to 2.1/2.2. Stuck on sh*tty 1.5 atm :(
  7. XplosiV

Flashing won't fix your issue I don't think, but you might get usable bluetooth out of it, don't think 2.2 is stable on portal yet but 2.1 is still well worth the upgrade.
  8. nailz

nailz Active Member

enable "show ghost devices" in the hardware manager of windows (google it) then delete any entries in the USB devices list which could be your phone, dont worry if you delete the wrong one, when you plug the devices back in, windows will the reinstall the drivers for it. I have had to do this several times with other things, mainly gaming hardware....
  9. mug2k

mug2k Active Member

Done all that reinstalled Kies and drvers and still nothing, same with NPS. Looks like I'll never be able to update :confused:
  10. XplosiV

Use odin, same as everyone else, even if you get the phone recognized samsung don't have the update available to the uk, so getting your phone recognized won't make any difference.
  11. hexdsl

hexdsl Active Member

google for 'samsung USB Behold drivers' they will fix your problem sorry no link
  12. mug2k

mug2k Active Member

I got the normal NPS drivers working and showing up properly but when I go into 'download mode' I get unknown device and the phone doesn't show up.

edit: I give up, every time I try and do this I waste a few hours and get nowhere.
  13. XplosiV

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you connect your phone to your pc and get the samsung software to recognize it, the only thing you can do is browse your sd card.

If you just want to transfer files between your pc and phone, just remove your sd card, use the adapter and plug it into your pc and use it as a removable drive.

If you want to sync your phone with your pc, then just sync everything through google on your phone. (calender, contacts, mail)

Use appbrain to back up your apps.

If you want to upgrade your phone to eclair (2.1), then download the update files and odin, and use odin to flash your phone.

Simples.
  14. mug2k

mug2k Active Member

I'm trying to flash it to 2.1.

I'm using the guide below
    How To: Upgrade/Update Samsung Galaxy i5700 1.5 To Firmware 2.1

When I get to the part where I have it download mode it doesn't recognize my phone so I can't proceed any further.
  15. XplosiV

Ok, step by step;

Make sure samsung software is NOT running

Make sure samsung tray software (by time in bottom right corner) is NOT running.

Phone should be unplugged
    Put phone into download mode
    Connect phone to pc
    Wait 3 minutes (gives pc time to detect phone properly)
    Load odin
    You should have the yellow port number now
    Select .tar files
    Hit start to begin flashing.

That should do ya bud. Step's 1, 2, & 6 are where people mostly go wrong.
  16. mug2k

mug2k Active Member

I wish it was that simple, but I always get stuck between 3 & 4. The phone never gets detected properly and almost always comes up as unknown device or the driver installation malfunctions. It comes up fine if I plug it as normal but in download mode (vol down + camera + power) it never recognises it.

Every time I try this it fails the same way and I have to go through the arduous task reinstalling all my apps and entering my contacts/settings again etc.
  17. XplosiV

Sounds like you still have samsung software running, either the main prgram or the trey program that monitors for when you connect your phone, make sure you have no icons that have a blue background and a white N down by the system time, if you do, right click and unload it. (that would be step 2)
  18. mug2k

mug2k Active Member

Its not that because I always closed them down and even checked task manager to make sure they weren't running.
  19. Levygirl

Levygirl New Member

I'm having the exact same problem. Really frustrating. Could anyone pls explain in plain English (to someone with no technical skills!) how to get my PC to recognise the phone again? All I want is to download music onto my phone. surely it shouldn't be this complicated!!
  20. XplosiV

As i said before, your better off just taking the micro SD card out of your phone, putting it into the sd card adapter that came with your phone, and plugging the sd card adapter contining your mirco sd card into your pc card reader (assuming you have one) then you can just use it like an external or usb drive.
  21. XplosiV

All i can say is it sounds like you may have the phone connected when you put it into download mode, if you have followed what i suggested exactly and are still having problems then i suggest you uninstall NPS and ALL samsung drivers, reboot your pc, check that everything is uninstalled properly, then reinstall the latest NPS, its not too hard to find 1.5, then try again.
  22. albert teacake

albert teacake New Member

Hi - I hope this helps. I contacted Samsung over this and was told to go to:
    Settings
    applications
    development
    usb debugging.

This allows the pc to see the phone.

God knows why we have to do this but it does work.

Cheers