• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connection problem with Netflix

I am using Android v 2.2.1 and have installed the latest Netflix (3.1.2 build 1142) to the sdcard. When it starts, I get the following message:

"Sorry we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. (-4)"

...and then it crashes.

No amount of googling will find me any good results since there are a myriad of error codes and potential problems. I have tried with the wifi and the 3G, and I've tried rebooting the phone. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? There is no cache to clear and no data to clear. The Netflix site just says to enter an activation code, but the app does not get to that point; it crashes almost immediately with the above error message.

My phone is not modified aside from changing the default install location since the internal memory on this phone is pitifully small and there was not enough space to download and install to the internal memory.

I have been to their website. It is of absolutely no help. The issue is not listed on their help pages (not surprisingly). It is a connection error, but vague error codes are absolutely useless.

Here's the exact sequence of events:

-I start up Netflix
-The red "Netflix" screen comes up
-I get the "working" circle animation under the logo for about two seconds
-I get a popup with the above error message
-I tap "Ok", and the app crashes

Upvote 0
Experienced identical problem with Netflix app ver 3.1.2 build 1142 on tablet device running Android system v. 2.2.1

"Sorry we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. (-4)"

I reported to Netflix customer support. They were unaware of the problem and not competent to recognize problem blaming device manufacturer.
They have confirmed they do not publish compatibility list.

Btw., other streaming and free apps, like YouTube, work fine on my device, but there is PROBLEM ONLY with Netflix client application, a software developed and distributed by Netflix, a company listed on NASDAQ (NFLX) with capitalization $25.6 bln as of Feb 2014.
It is hard to believe!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones