• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connection, Stalling, Lag- Mixed Answers All over... Whats the solution to this rubbish phone?

Just to add something positive to this thread. Iv had my sgs since the beginning of July and it has been great. It was running firmware JF3 when I first got it and the only problem I had was with the WiFi, it would randomly turn itself on, so I updated the firmware to JM1 through kies and that sorted it out, Yes I did say through kies, it went like a charm.
I have kies installed on a windows 7 machine and have no problems with it. If your having problems with kies not connecting to your phone it is usually the drivers that have not installed properly, once you get them installed properly it should work ok.
The update to JM1 has made my sgs a lot better, it's faster, little to no lag and it works just great.
I can't wait for Froyo, which hopefully will be with us at the end of this month.

Upvote 0
All smartphones have there problems and it doesn't matter what make they are. I have had a variety of smartphones over the past couple of years or so, Desire, Hero, Cliq, Satio, N95, to name but a few. In my experience If you have a phone that has been branded by a network and has a lot of there rubbish on it this will make the phone much worse, this is one thing that drives me mad.
When phone manufactures find out about any problems it takes them time to push out any updates to fix them, but they are only usually small updates that come along in between the major updates like Froyo. I have to say that I think this is the best smartphone I have ever had.

Josh1a1j, so what firmware was the phone using? and what did it update to?

Upvote 0
actually i thought i was on jm1.. .but just checking the phone i am still on jf3... my phone is running better though.
I may check to see if jm1 is available through kies, and when froyo is released, just update to that..??

If your on JF3 then you couldn't have done an update via kies. JF3 seems to be what most of the UK handsets shipped with, although I have heard some people say there's came with JM1 out the box.

If you do decide to do the update, first make sure you have the latest version of kies, make sure the drivers install correctly other wise you will have all sorts of problems.
The chance are that when you do try to do the update kies will tell you This device's version cannot be updated, if this happens, there is a guide that I posted on this forum that tells you how to do the update using kies and how to over come this problem, if your serious about doing the update and getting the most out of your phone then ask and I will post it in this thread.

Upvote 0
hmmm maybe just maybe it did say that the version could not be updated... But honestly i do not remember...
I love this phone and only want to get the most out of it. I am definitely competent enough to do the lag fix, but i feel it isnt completely necessary for myself as i am happy with it currently, and i am happy to wait for updates...

I am serious about having this update, and i am too familiar with the difficulties kies has been giving me.

Could you please help me with this. It would be much appreciated.
i have kies, but its giving me problems. Where is the best place to download the latest version which contain drivers that actually work consistently???

Thank you

Josh

Upvote 0
hmmm maybe just maybe it did say that the version could not be updated... But honestly i do not remember...
I love this phone and only want to get the most out of it. I am definitely competent enough to do the lag fix, but i feel it isnt completely necessary for myself as i am happy with it currently, and i am happy to wait for updates...

I am serious about having this update, and i am too familiar with the difficulties kies has been giving me.

Could you please help me with this. It would be much appreciated.
i have kies, but its giving me problems. Where is the best place to download the latest version which contain drivers that actually work consistently???

Thank you

Josh

Ok. first things first how have you got your phone set up for USB connection, go to>settings>about phone>USB settings put it on Ask on connection.The version of kies I have is 1.5.1.10074_2_6. open kies, go to the top left corner, where it says kies with an arrow pointing downwards, click on it and in the drop down box, click on update, another box will open, leave it to check for any updates, this may or may not work if it doesn't work go here http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...08/20100818144348234/Kies_1.5.1.10074_2_6.exe save to your desktop so you can find it easily.
Uninstall the version of kies you already have and reboot your PC.
Right click on the file you downloaded and saved to your desktop and choose run as administrator, click ok on the next box that pops up.
Once installed follow the prompts to connect your phone but keep an eye on the drivers being installed, because if one part fails to install properly it wont work, so look for anything that says failed to install. when you have got this far get back to me.

Upvote 0
i have uninstalled, and i am downloading the new kies via your link as it didnt offer an update via kies...
Can you please advice on how to proceed please...

I am just installing and rebooting just as i type this message.
Thank you

Josh

edit...
upon installation of the new kies... it said something about not being able to find a certain file... i am not sure if this has anything to do with the drivers?
I have not yet connected my phone to kies. do the drivers install upon connecting the phone? or upon installing kies?
THANKS

Upvote 0
i have uninstalled, and i am downloading the new kies via your link as it didnt offer an update via kies...
Can you please advice on how to proceed please...

I am just installing and rebooting just as i type this message.
Thank you

Josh

edit...
upon installation of the new kies... it said something about not being able to find a certain file... i am not sure if this has anything to do with the drivers?
I have not yet connected my phone to kies. do the drivers install upon connecting the phone? or upon installing kies?
THANKS

No this doesn't have anything to do with the drivers, the drivers only get installed when you connect your phone for the first time.

Don't connect your phone yet.
Uninstall kies again and then reboot.
Once PC has rebooted, right click the kies .exe file you downloaded and select run as administrator, in the next box click OK.
While it is installing keep an eye on what is happening and if it say something about can't find a file, write it down so we know what to look for, if you don't get the message this time all well and good.
When kies has finished installing reboot your PC, and get back to me. don't forget to write down any error messages you may get whilst installing kies.

it may be easier to PM me from now on

Upvote 0
I gave up my 16Gb iPhone 3G for this Galaxy S i9000. I have started to regret it.
Samsung disabled the button combos on my firmware.:(
It doesn't connect to any kind/brand/os of desktop/laptop machine.
Overheats.
Randomly switches off...
Samsung sending me to Brisbane's Samsung Customer Centre - which never have/had anything to do with mobile phones... Then sending me to the other end of the town, to Chermside, to the only Authorised Repair "Centre" which is an open kiosk in the middle of the walkway, when I find it out: no, they do not exchange or fix handsets there, they are sending them to Sydney... The Only honest, helpful and professional Person in the whole saga is the kiosk operator, whom is helping to intervene, advise, call others...
My service provider is a scam and Samsung is shorter than helpful... I am crying back my iPhone, at least I would know who to turn to if I need professional service!

Upvote 0
I gave up my 16Gb iPhone 3G for this Galaxy S i9000. I have started to regret it.
Overheats.
Randomly switches off...
Samsung sending me to Brisbane's Samsung Customer Centre - which never have/had anything to do with mobile phones... Then sending me to the other end of the town, to Chermside, to the only Authorised Repair "Centre" which is an open kiosk in the middle of the walkway, when I find it out: no, they do not exchange or fix handsets there, they are sending them to Sydney... The Only honest, helpful and professional Person in the whole saga is the kiosk operator, whom is helping to intervene, advise, call others...
My service provider is a scam and Samsung is shorter than helpful... I am crying back my iPhone, at least I would know who to turn to if I need professional service!

Sorry to hear your having problems with your SGS
I have had mine since the beginning of July and initially I had a problem with the WiFi randomly turning itself on, so I upgraded the firmware from JF3 to JM1 using kies and that sorted out the problem and the phone is 100% better now.
Kies can be temperamental, but on the whole I don't get any trouble from it.
There is a registry hack, that is quit simple to do so you can update the firmware using kies.

Upvote 0

I read on XDA that this is a faulty boot secondary loader (or something like that) and there is a fix on that site. Apparently happened with Bell phones as well

What have you tried? I know I had problems connecting with my Dell vista laptop but got rid of some long file endings and poof - connected and updated ROM

Overheats

I've read it runs warm. Is that connected to your random shut offs?

Don't your providers have a test period where you can return your phone to the place you got it? Do it since you are so unhappy with your purchase. Life is too short, ebay it if you have to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones