• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 'Connections Refused' over Wifi

logannc

Lurker
Mar 31, 2013
The following is the error I get (including "Got the error"):

Got the error: Server Error
while trying to obtain: http://google.com/aasgdfaWHATEVERTHEPATHIS
Connection Refused

Got the error: Server Error
while trying to obtain: http://androidforums.com
Connection Refused

You get the idea.

These are the errors I get when I attempt to browse the web (on Chrome and the default 'Internet' app) over Wifi on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Or, rather, they are the content of the webpage displayed. I make this distinction from an app notification of an error or something like that. (hopefully this makes sense..)

This only started a few days ago, lasted all day, then returned to normal before happening again today. I have made no changes to the phone immediately prior to this starting. It IS rooted, but I hardly see how that would affect anything.

It should be noted that I did rename gsniff_daemon (I think that was the original name) to something else so that gsniff_daemon would not drain the battery randomly. This is a common workaround and it is thought to deal with GPS, not wifi, so it should not be the issue. That said, if anyone can corroborate a correlation between these two problems, perhaps I will look into that.

Has anyone else received this error, found a fix/workaround, or identified the problem? It's truly strange.

EDIT:

I have done further testing. It hasn't yielded anything that makes sense to me, but hopefully it might to someone else. Here is a screenshot of me doing a raw GET request with netcat.

FGn1gHB.png

Hello logannc!!
You mention this error whilst on wifi. Does this error occur without wifi? I would assume not.
Have you also tried to undo the rename of the gsniff_daemon back to what is was?
I know you said you are rooted. Did this issue occur after a rom/kernel or some other mod/theme flash?
What carrier are you with?
Have you tried to wipe cache and dalvik cache from within your recovery, then reboot?
Do your other devices operate properly when connected to the same wifi?
How about when the phone is connected to other wifi access points?

Sorry for all the questions here:) But those are the ones that pop into my head at the moment :)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Hello logannc!!
You mention this error whilst on wifi. Does this error occur without wifi? I would assume not.
Have you also tried to undo the rename of the gsniff_daemon back to what is was?
I know you said you are rooted. Did this issue occur after a rom/kernel or some other mod/theme flash?
What carrier are you with?
Have you tried to wipe cache and dalvik cache from within your recovery, then reboot?
Do your other devices operate properly when connected to the same wifi?
How about when the phone is connected to other wifi access points?

Sorry for all the questions here:) But those are the ones that pop into my head at the moment :)

1. This error does NOT occur without wifi.

2. I have not. But, again, the problem is intermittent so I'd rather not mess with gsniff_daemon again until I have to as it would be difficult to verify if it was the cause and would only drain my battery again.

3. No. I have not messed with any custom ROMs. The only flashing I've done is flashing the Clockwork recovery thing, and that was a long, long time ago.

4. AT&T. Though, since it's on wifi, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

5. No.... I may try that tonight.

6. Yes. I have two laptops connected. 1 Windows, 1 Linux.

7. It happens when I'm at school and at home, so I would imagine it persists across wifi access points.

All of this points to it being a problem on the phone, but I can't imagine what.

What I find curious is the "Server: Brazil/2.0" section of the response. I have no idea what this indicates.

EDIT:

Redoing the netcat test at a different access point yields inconsistent results. Note that below the error is a 408, while in the OP it is a 500 error. Moreover, when done in a browser the text is the same (as in the top of the OP), regardless of the I receive in netcat.

DeFw9q1.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones