Consdiering picking up a Droid Eris and have a few ?General

Last Updated:

1. woodyak

woodyak New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently on a Blackberry 8700 that my company pays for. After picking up a Droid Eris for my wife I became extremely jealous as I realized my Blackberry is crap. I'd have to start paying for my own phone if I went with the Droid so it'd really have to be worth it.

• When rifling through Verizon's site to add this phone and additional line I noticed there are 2 options for Web. The expensive one mentions "Corporate E-mail". Would I need this option to talk to my company's Exchange Server? (Yes, I checked with my company and they have the appropriate Exchange connector).
    • How well does this device work as a mass storage MP3 player? I know battery life is a concern with this phone but would it be usable for the commute back and forth to work? I'd be getting the 32G SD card for storage.
    • How good is the GPS? Could I use it for tracking and mapping my mountain bike trips? I don't care if it's super accurate but it would have to be usable?
    • Are there are any VPN apps? I know the Iphone has a Cisco VPN client. I wouldn't mind being able to hook into work.

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

1. Corporate Email service --in my understanding is for Blackberries that require BES services. A $30 data connection should be all you need.

2. It works great, but I have no idea how long you travel work buddy :) You probably want to get a car charger just to be safe. I drive 7 minutes to work and I have one...it's a cheap CYA solution.

3.The GPS is SSSPPOOTTT on incredible (no pun intended HTC fans!) You say don't need super accurate, but it IS super accurate.

4. VPN is not an area I know much about, but from what I understand, it ain't real easy. Check this out: Android VPN – VPNC | Tech Haus
    (BTW, rooting has not yet been done on the Eris.)

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Woodyak, you may want to call Verizon just to make sure. Verizon says that Exchange requires a $45 data plan. It's required for:

4. smacky

smacky Banned

The MP3 player is fine, although you aren't limited to just that one. You can always download a new one from the Market that you like.

The GPS is really good as well. My car has sat nav, but since it's cd-based, something built within the past six months does not show up on the route guidance. The Eris comes in handy there.

There is a VPN option when you go to the wireless settings. I don't use it, and I've never played around with it.

As for battery life, you can do some minor tweaks, but a car charger may be a solution. My car's USB port in the armrest charges the phone with the MiniUSB, so that's my charger. Gives you peace of mind so you're not worrying about quick charging the phone when you have to leave the house suddenly.

5. screennamie

screennamie Well-Known Member

You don't need root in oder to use vpn. Just a server and an app to use. There are plenty of those in the market.

I was looking at vpn myself just before I rooted. And I only chose to root because of wifi, and customizability plus all the roms and tinkering.. looking for a new hobby :)

6. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

BTW, look in the Rooting part of the forum,
    my Eris is rooted, right now.

VPN works on the ROM I'm using.

7. woodyak

woodyak New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the responses guys.

I spoke with our wireless guy at work and he said that they don't support the Droid OS connecting yet because it doesn't meet their security requirements. Does anyone know if the new OS has improved security? We had a similar issue with Iphone but they support Iphone now.

Paying extra for Exchange support would be a bummer. I'm not sure if it's worth paying that much extra.

My office has Cisco VPN concentrators. We have both the standard VPN and AnyConnect. So I'd have to be able to connect that way.

Anyone have experience with tethering? I noticed Verizon offers it now but for a pretty hefty monthly fee.