• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Considering buying a moment

digo21

Mar 31, 2010
Hi all, now I want to start of by saying that my plan does not go up until june 25th. So by then new phones may be out, however knowing my luck that wont be the case. So if I had to choose a phone from sprint's offering right now it would be the moment or the pre. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how good the video recorder is on the moment and how nice movies look on their as well? Thanks

Well, any picture you take on this phone is....well it's obvious it's from a phone and not a camera. The video isn't much to shake a stick at either.

As far as Moment vs. Pre, I'd actually recommend taking a look at the pre. My Moment is more or less pissing me off to such an extent as to make me consider the Hero.

My issues this far with a few months use;

1. Radio lock outs. This is where the phone basically locks you out of making calls, browsing the web, or sending text messages, rendering the 'phone' useless. I get these on average 4 times a day now, even as bad as 9 occasionally.

2. Some touch screen glitches. My touch screen wigs out on me about three times a day, where it sees my 'finger' travel all across the screen in random spastic movements until I lift my actual finger off the screen.

3. Random restarts when the battery gets close to 20% or so. If you're doing anything aside from sending a text message or making a phone call when it hits 20%, stop drop and save your stuff. It's highly likely that it will lock up and reboot on it's own.

4. The screen is very nice, clear, colorful....indoors. Outside, unless you can cover it with your hand or something, it's next to un-readable. I'm not quite sure to this day as of why it's like this, but it's one major drawback.

5. WiFi issues. The WiFi is decent, but if you're going to download something with it on, good luck to you sir, you'll need it. You just can't do it, all the downloads hang up until you connect back to 3g/1x.

6. The camera takes god awfully long to activate. It takes a good 15-20 second for mine to open up, and even longer to switch over to video. It's not really practical for take-it-out use where you snap it on and just take a picture. I had to use mine because I was in a wreck a few days ago, and after restarting it to call 911 because my radio locked up, I had to sit and wait for the camera to open up to get pictures of all 4 cars damages and license plates. Never before have I felt such a burning desire to throw my phone into the street and watch, laughing as on-coming traffic annihilates my device.

My phone has pissed me off royally, nearly like this before, and many a times before as well.

In short, if you can deal with the issues, I say this is a decent phone right now. Not as far as great, just decent. I can't speak for the Pre, as I chose this over it. The Pre just feels downright cheap and flimsy.

-edit-

Wow, I typed all that out using Swype, and this! Dang, maybe an all touch screen experience aint half bad... meh, I just had an 'omg' moment, thought I'd share it with all of you lovely fellows.

Upvote 0
Hopefully, 2.1 will be out before you're ready and we'll know if it fixes the few nagging issues with the phone (airplane mode, phone pauses, etc). My wife has a pre and I have a moment. I would say that the pre takes better pictures. There's a lot to like about the pre, unfortunately there's a lot not to like. The build quality is mediocre, the moment is a tank in comparison. In a solid good signal, the pre's battery life is equal or even a bit better than the moment, but in a poor reception area the pre drains much faster. Both phones have manufacturers issues too. The moment is made by Samsung who makes good hardware then offers little support. Palm's condition is a more serious issue, they're not in good shape at all and anyone buying a Palm now has to be aware that their phone could be orphaned at any time. Their app store was sparse before the financial news and impending doom isn't going to improve things. If it were me and considering your time frame, I would look hard at the N1 and the Evo and only consider the Moment if 2.1 fix's the phone issues and it's dirt cheap. I would only consider the pre if it were free.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses guys. Ya the N1 is my phone of choice but if it aint their than Im not sure if I will go with the moment or pre. I am not to worried about the app store not having any support as to me that is merely a bonus. I have an envy2 right now so its not like I am loosing that option anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones