Considering Buying a Verizon Driod. Need Advice!

Last Updated:

1. npro1464

npro1464 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello. I have always been dying to get my hands on an iPhone since it came out. However, I have been strapped due to 2 reasons: 1). justifying the added cost 2). being a Verizon customer. However, now I have a job that requires me to take a 40 minute train ride to and from work and am finding it really difficult to amuse myself during this time.

I've heard a lot about Andriod, and I have a lot of faith in Google. That, and I don't feel like waiting for the iPhone to come out for other carriers. So, I was considering buying a Verizon Droid. I've narrowed it down to the Driod X by Motorola and the Driod Incredible by HTC. Which phone is preferable? I love the size of the X, but I heard the Incredible is the better phone.

I also have to admit, I am scared of investing in a phone with Verizon. My experience has been negative with their lower level phones- I currently have a env touch and it stinks on ice! Verizon says it has 3g, but the internet is terrible. Should I expect something similar from a Driod?

Anyway, thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. Tino

Tino Well-Known Member

I will admit, I know nothing about Verizon except what I see on these forums. However, largely I have seen less complaints about Verizon on high end phone performance than any other US carrier, but that may depend on location and coverage in your area.

As with the phones, many people would disagree with you that Droid Incredible is the better phone as technically the Droid X has slightly better hardware due to being the newest phone. They are actually quite similar phones but the Incredible is an HTC phone and therefore has Sense built in, and the X is a Motorola phone and uses a spin-off of MotoBlur.

Here is a review with videos of each phone:

Motorola Droid X Review

HTC Droid Incredible Review

Hope that helps!

3. gritz

gritz Active Member

I took the plunge and bought the Droid X. I couldn't be happier with it ... at least for the 6 weeks I've had it. This is a miniature computer, extremely capable, quite fast, and absolutely fascinating. I should know .... I build gaming systems. You want to be amused .... I assure you, this will do it. This Droid X, my wifes Motorola cell phone, 550 minutes, unlimited data, Text, and Internet Broadband for a total of $80. Where can you beat that? Previously I was paying $70 for just Hughes high speed only. PLUS the phones. I also tether my Droid X to my home computer to share the connection ..... what more is there? :^)) :D:D

4. npro1464

npro1464 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not to sound like a total noob, but there is still unlimited data for the Droid X, isn't there? I know that Apple neutered the iPhone this past summer. I'm kind of worried that the day I go in Verizon will say, "Yeah, that was the way it was until last Monday.. but you can get 2 GB of data for $25 or choose 150 MB for $15 (haha, no...)!!

5. substring

substring Well-Known Member

At this time, only AT&T is doing the tier pricing. But there is rumor that other carriers will follow soon.

6. oregonn8v

oregonn8v New Member

I just picked up my Droid 2 (Verizon) last Wednesday. I was initially going to go for the Droid X but was tired of waiting and Costco (where I got my D2) did not know when they were to get the X in.

I am really happy with the 2 and I'm sure I would have been with the X as well. It is fast, my coverage is excellent, and the applications have, thus far, run exceptionally well. The only downside is poor battery life. GPS sucks the battery dry. Keep a charger handy wherever you go.

I use my D2 primarily in the Portland (Oregon) metropolitan area. Coverage is flawless.

7. android.convert

android.convert Well-Known Member

I have heard this as well....greed

8. faber78

faber78 Guest

picked up an x and i like it a lot.
    was skeptical, now im glad i did.
    i have reception here where at and t and sprint people at work dont.
    i still believe all cellular providers are crooked.

really enjoy the x though.
    check at wal mart and skip the stupid mail in rebate crap.

9. sitlet

sitlet Banned

What's a Driod?