Considering droid 2 global

Last Updated:

1. xkingofgodzx

xkingofgodzx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Droid 2 alone wasn't all that impressive to me. But the Droid 2 global looks like it could be pretty sweet. I'm liking the 1.2 ghz processor inside. I don't know if Ill need the global capabilities but it seems like a pretty good upgrade from the standard Droid 2. Just curious what your guys thought is on this? Don't get me wrong I love my Droid Incredible but I'm wondering if the Droid 2 global will be a little snapping with the better processor.

Advertisement
  2. nggomez60

nggomez60 Active Member

Don't waste your time or money. The 1.2 processor is just the regular TI OMAP processor clocked to 1.2 Ghz. It is the same processor as in the the current Droid 2 and the Droid X. I recently got a Droid X and from my personal experience playing with the two phones, the Droid 2 felt a lot slower for whatever reason which is why I went for the X. The new Global D2 will probably feel the same as the DX does not. This is just a farce put out by Motorola to keep people interested since the Droid 2 barely sold. Very little is actually different and DEFINITELY not worth switching to if you have a Droid 2 or Droid X already.

3. lance-tek

lance-tek Well-Known Member

My D2G will arrive at the house today. I am switching from an Eris though so I can imagine it will be like night and day for me... I know there aren't many comparisons or reviews out right now for it so I am hoping and I have my fingers crossed that it will be a major upgrade for me...

-lance

4. alleycat58

alleycat58 Member

Considering this phone as well as the still-a-rumor HTC Incredible HD. I'm in no real rush to upgrade, but I'm anxious to hear what everyone thinks of the D2G.

5. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Its still the same DROID2. Just with global capabilities and 1.2ghz. My DROID2 is already 1.2ghz and I don't need the global chip.

6. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

For some of us, the D2 Global and D-Pro are God sends. It's been a real drag not to be able to use my phone when traveling in Europe. Can't wait to get a D2.

7. xkingofgodzx

xkingofgodzx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah my next phone will most likely be the Incredible HD for sure! I was just curious what people thought.

8. dbcad7

dbcad7 Active Member

@john30308
    Well.. I kind of looked at Verizons site, at their other global phones.. As far as I can see Europe is not offered for either phone or data roaming (except for Ukraine).. If it does have a GSM sim chip, then I suppose you could pop in a local sim and use your phone.. but then I am concerned as to whether or not the phone will support edge for at least some data connectivity.. Perhaps I am wrong, but I would definitely look at that before taking the plunge.. If Europe is where you want to use it.

9. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

10. nggomez60

nggomez60 Active Member

The CPU is the same. The spec sheet has been out for a while as well as the benchmark tests for the D2G and the processor is the same. A simple root can make any current D2 or DX way faster than the global. The next round of chips aren't due out until Q1 of next year or beyond(dual core and the such!) as well as LTE support.

11. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with phone and it will definitely work in Europe with a SIM chip, which every single GSM phone needs to have. Verizon advertises it working in 200+ countries.

12. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

Thank you. I guess D2 should be fine for the next 2-2.5 years.

13. pdth

pdth New Member

Just got my D2 Global on Wednesday. Not sure how it compares with the old D2 but this one rocks! Very fast. I like the keyboard. I've loaded it up with apps and everything is really smooth. Verizon assures me it works fine in Germany and Finland where Im going in a couple of weeks.

14. smashingbroom

smashingbroom Member

Guys... Please help me out..

I am from India, if I order this phone from Verizon, will I be able to use it in India with the service provider in India??

There are 2 options available with verizon's website, Full Retail Price : $559.00 & $199.00 with 2 years contract. If I go for the Full retail version will that come with a non-removable Verizon SIM card or I will be able to remove it and use the phone with Indian SIM Card?

Also, will all the features like 3G, services etc working in India???

15. RobertS975

RobertS975 Member

If you reside in India, then the last thing you want to consider is this Verizon phone. Buy a local GSM phone with an Indian carrier.

16. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Why not? If the Indian 3G carrier supports 3G on 850/1900/2100, it should be fine...if Verizon will provide the unlock code. Otherwise, a Motorola Milestone (unlocked) would "basically" be the same thing. However most Milestones only have 900/2100 3G support, save for those destined for Rogers in Canada, which have 850/1900.

I just bought a T-Mobile branded Motorola Defy, got the unlock code from T-Mo (they even escalated the ticket to engineering group since the code provided by cust. serv. did not work) and its pulling down 3G on AT&T's 850 band. The phone works on 850/1700/2100 UMTS only. I may run into issues if I hit 1900 towers, but I'm good in most of the areas I dwell.

I'm waiting for someone to confirm 3g on AT&T and I'll take back the Defy and go with the D2 Global (missing the hard keyboard already).

17. w53cig

w53cig Active Member

Yes. You'll need to have the SIM unlocked and then you can use it with any GSM provider that uses the 900/1800 GSM and 2100 UMTS (3G) bands, which just about every Indian mobile provider uses.
    You will be able to remove the Verizon SIM and use an Indian SIM, but it will only work after you get the SIM unlock code. Verizon will only provide this code if you have had an active line with no late payments for at least 6 months. Otherwise you'll have to get the unlock code from an unlocking company.
    Yes. The government 3G bandwidth auction that took place earlier this year only included the 2100 MHz band, so the D2G will definitely work on any 3G carrier in India.
    The D2G won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile unfortunately. The Verizon radio firmware has restricted use of the 850/1900 GSM/UMTS bands in the USA, even though the hardware is there. So until someone hacks the radio firmware to unrestrict 850/1900 in the US, no AT&T :(