considering Fascinate, coming from eris and palm pre plus

Last Updated:

1. lady3jane

lady3jane Active Member This Topic's Starter

ok, i've been reading a lot about the droid x and the fascinate.

i like my palm pre because of the webos, but i really really hate the keyboard and some other minor annoyances.

i had an eris before and it was ok. i still have it and use it mostly as a kindle for reading in bed at night.

here are my questions:

1 - on the Eris, my main complaint is that when reading on the Kindle app in the dark, the soft keys light up and are really bright. is there some sort of patch or something that i can use so that that doesn't happen on the fascinate?

2 - alarm clock - the palm pre plus does not have a separate volume for the ringer and the alarm. if i set the alarm, i have to be prepared for any other notifications to come thru as well. on the fascinate, is there the ability to silence everything BUT the alarm clock?

3 - GPS - i use google maps a lot and go to big cities on the East Coast frequently. some of the droid x/fascinate threads say the fascinate gps is laggy/inaccurate. has this been the experience of users in ny/dc/baltimore/philly? i know that in my mostly podunk town, gps can be off by quite a bit, but much more accurate in larger cities. not sure of the technicalities behind GPS so maybe it's just my imagination.

if these have been answered elsewhere, please let me know. i'm going in circles and getting info overload trying to find the answers :)

Advertisement
  2. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

1. The capacitive navigation key backlight turns off after a few seconds of non use

2. All notifications have a separate volume setting from ringtones

3. The GPS works as well as any of my other smartphones have ever worked.

These are my experiences so far.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

First let me say that the Fascinate is a great phone and it will outperform either of the phones you have now. I love mine and I came from the Eris. However, based on your screen name and the sizes of the phones you have now I HIGHLY recommend that you spend some physical time with either before you do too much more reading. They are both rather large phones and, as a woman, I find the Fascinate to be rather big in my hands.

1 - The Fascinate's soft keys do not, as of now, light up all the time. They only light when pressed. Some consider this to be a flaw and it is rather hard to find the right button in the dark sometimes. There has been mention of this possibly being changed in future updates.

2 - All Android phones have separate volumes for different functions. There is a great (free or paid) in the Market called Audio Manager Widget that allows for easy access and manipulation of each volume control. The Pro version of the same app will even allow time controlled volume presets so that you don't even have to mess with it.

3 - While I have also seen complaints about the GPS on the Fascinate I have experienced no such problems. Mine has worked flawlessly no matter where I am and that includes downtown Atlanta, Ga as well as some of the much more rural parts (where you can hear banjos being played ;)).

4. lady3jane

hi all - thanks for your replies!

i have ginormous hands so a bigger phone isn't really an issue.

i stopped by the vzw store on the way home and was happy to find they had working models of both the fascinate and droid x.

the fascinate is awesome. and the droid x IS huge!!!

glad to know about the separate volumes for notifications. i ended up going to the pre after the eris because the eris was just not so great for a variety of reasons and it always just seemed very fragile. the fascinate seems like an android phone that gets it right - and a good size.

5. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

I went from a eris to the fascinate. leaps and bounds better. The screen is flawless, so far, and without the LED indicator, if I can turn off the battery notification I could leave my phone face up at night an sleep without the random wakeup from texts (im a light sleeper from my military training).

I don't think there is a perfect phone, but the fascinate gets very close to being perfect for me.

6. lady3jane

when reading the other threads where a lot of people were "OMG NO LED WTF" i was pretty much "OH WOW AWESOME". i can sleep thru a thunderstorm that knocks a tree onto our house, but a tiny blinky light next the to bed at 2AM....not a chance.

i think it does really come down to personal taste. my boss has the D2 and loves it. i personally think it's clunky.

the fascinate seems more like an iphone but with a better OS. i have to say that i was pretty darn impressed by it when i tested it out. i don't know what version of the android OS is on there, or maybe it's the TouchWiz, but i really liked the interface a whole lot more than on the eris or droid x.

7. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

Right now its 2.1, possibily with the OTA fix 2.1-1. TouchWiz is pretty smooth too.