Considering going from Droid on VZW to Evo 4G on Sprint.. anyone here made this move?

Last Updated:

1. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

We currently have Droids and have been happy with them but the Evo 4G seems to have everything we're missing from our Droids. On top of that we can save $50+ every month on our bill over what we're currently paying and that includes more airtime, more features and 4G. My Droid is rooted and overclocked and my wife's is bone stock running Froyo. I'm wondering how we will like this transition and if there's anything we should know. I realize it's a step down in nationwide coverage but prior to moving to VZW we had T-Mobile and the coverage was sufficient and Sprint is very similar, especially in our area. My concern is with the 4G itself and how it affects battery life and how it performs overall. I messed with some of the Evo 4G's at the store including a couple employees personal phones and the speeds were a nice increase over 3G. My concern however is it's affect on battery life as the employees all had their 4G turned off and had to enable it. He said it really affects battery life so if a salesman is telling me that then it must REALLY affect battery life. Seems if that's a big reason for the move it wouldn't make sense to move and pay an extra $10 per line for 4G if we had it disabled. The Evo 4G itself seems like a very nice phone and I'm sure we'll like it as well. Seems that a little larger is about the only negative but the positives far outweigh this.

So, thoughts? Looking for someone who has made this move or someone who has weighed pros & cons in making the move and really don't want people speculating or fanboying because I have no ties to anyone other than Android here.

Advertisement
  2. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

IMO you have no reason to have 4G enabled 24/7 on your phone, ut rather only when you are using it. I don't believe you are using that modem for voice (somebody correct me if I am wrong), so while it sits in your pocket, on the desk, etc, I see no reason to keep it on all the time. FWIW I have read the same thing about it draining the battery much faster.

3. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I rarely use the 4G on my Evo and I live between Baltimore, DC and Annapolis, all of which have 4G. I wouldn't make the switch because of the 4G personally, but because the Evo is the best phone, and Sprint is less expensive and allows you to upgrade every year for your main line. If you're tethering the 4G is really sweet, but most things you're doing on your phone are still really quick on 3G IMO. Also Sprint still has unlimited data. :)

4. OstrichSaK

All good points. Thanks.

BTW, the wife and I were just in your neck of the woods a month or so ago and this time last year too. Lots to see out there.

5. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Yeah I've lived here my whole life so I kinda take it for granted. We have every kind of terrain and weather that this country has to offer, as well as craploads of landmarks. It's a pretty neat area.

6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You really need to consider real world coverage specifically where you need it. Be sure to make use of the initial return period with Sprint if their coverage doesn't meet your needs for some reason. Coverage maps and general discussions of coverage are fairly pointless.

7. OstrichSaK

I couldn't agree more. In fact my buddy is on his way over right now with his Sprint Evo 4G so I can test it in my theater in my basement which is a black hole for wireless. T-mobile was so so for occassional text messages but forget voice calls. VZW seems to be pretty solid for all use so that's a bonus. If it doesn't work then that's a deal breaker right there because that's where I spend a bulk of my time watching movies, sports and playing video games. If it passes the test there then we'll likely sign up for a few phones to test around where we normally are plus we're going back to Nebraska for Christmas so it'll be a good test for the trip there as well as in and around the area back home. I spend time out in the boonies shooting and hunting so it will be nice to see how well it does out there. Either way we should have a pretty good idea here soon if it's going to work for us or not.

8. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

Hope it works out. I know that I work in the basement level of an Urgent care and Sprint and ATT here are the only carriers that get ANY reception down there. One of the nurses has Verizon and gets 0-1 bars. Another has TMO and gets nothing. I was quite shocked! Spring gives me 2-4 bars while ATT gave a steady 1 (never saw it falter, but it was just fine for data and voice).

9. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

so.... how was the test in the basement/black hole?

10. OstrichSaK

Surprisingly... good. I was expecting it to be a little worse but it was actually the same or even slightly better than my D1 on VZW so that's a good thing. We've moved onto the next step of testing and decision making because if it didn't work where we needed it to then we would have been done.

11. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

did you know..

sprint phones roam on verizon.
    when a sprint phone can not find sprint signal.. it jumps to the nearest verizon tower. Both are CDMA phones.