Considering moving from eris to droid

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I just want some input on what i should do. i realize this is the droid forum so im probably going to get some biased answers from people, but i am looking for some good feedback.

basically, im tired of going back and forth between trying to decide if i should keep the eris or go to the droid (or wait for something better). the factors i am looking for in the phone are the following:

-fast system that can compete with today's best smartphones
    -longevity of the phone (meaning once i get on the 2-year, i won't regret it because something far outdoes this phone)
    -best internet experience possible
    -"bring it all with you" design, meaning, i want it to be an all-in-one unit that can do basically anything on the go.
    -i do not want a budget phone, i want power to do things.

what can you guys say about these factors compared to the eris? im especially interested in the longevity for i do not want to be outdone by some new smartphone so quickly with a 2-year contract. is the moto droid going be around for awhile?

on a final note--design. i chose the eris because when i went to verizon i saw it and it looked so much more slick. and its a beauty.
    -i DO NOT however want to be seen with a phone that people will look at as 'ugly' or 'awkward' when talking or pulling it out.
    -i also do not want to be 'weighed down' by the phone (my friend returned his droid because it was too heavy)
    -i dont want a phone that appears too big or bulky when carrying it around or talking on it, i want to be able to pull it out, do what i gotta do and put it away.
    -are there serious design flaws with the droids keyboard 'sliding out' unintentionally? or other flaws?

so what do you guys think? do you get used to the design of the droid? is it really that bad? i played with both and im very indecisive. i want power, but at the same time i dont want to be embarrased with something ugly/heavy/too large when i go out for the night.

i keep hearing the eris will be outdone by something soon for its slower and not as powerful, this would not be good if i kept it. yet i also hear it will be leaps and bounds better with the new OS coming. i do love the phone so far besides the bugs.

like i said, im expecting biased answers from a droid forum but im still interested in your thoughts. i just cannot seem to decide! help!

:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

I will say this , yesterday when I was in the mall I checked out your phone and I wanted to throw it against the wall. The Eris does not compare in any way shape or form to the DROID, The droid does so much more. I could go into alot of details but I wont becasue I gotta go. If you are really considering it , dont hesitate ,just do it ,you wont be sorry.

3. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

4. kraze0g

i just talked to a rep from vzw and they told me that the power of the eris is absolutely no different than that of the droid. i kept pushing her about the processing speed and cpu, multitasking and she insisted that i heard wrong from either a website or someone else..

<me> the droid has a faster processor and better cpu ?
    <me> applications will run faster and multiple applications will work better?
    Deshondra: The only difference is the OS. Both are capable at surfing the web and apps at the same speed, trust me. What you will need to do is decide can you handle all touch. When the Eris is updated to the new OS, there will be no difference in either smartphone besides the looks.

i thought the droid outperformed the eris and was more apt to last longer on the market when comparing it to other phones that will be coming out?

5. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

Here's a comparison chart for Droid VS. Eris:

Motorola Droid vs HTC Droid Eris | Redmond Pie

Not to knock on vzw representatives, but I'm sure you know that the answers provided change from rep to rep. So, research, and go with the facts is what I always do.

6. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm the guy who started the thread mentioned, "I have betrayed my Eris brothers. . ."

I have to say that a few days out on the Droid, and I am VERY happy I made the switch.

I really have to disagree with what the vzw rep told you. I'm telling you, the Droid just feels a ton faster. Now, it COULD be 2.01, I'm not sure, all I can tell you is what I'm seeing.

And I've gotten used to the form factor. Not as sleek and sexy as the Eris, and it's a little heavier, but it really is rubbing off on me and now I look at it a little too lovingly (my wife says.)

Plus, it's a fact that the CPU is faster. The specs say it is. And it definitely feels that way, especially on web browsing.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that it lacks pinch & zoom at this point, but that Dolphin browser supports it if you want to get it, and double-tapping to zoom the screen works great. It gets it to just the right zoom for my taste.

Both phones are cool, but I just think the Droid is better. I don't regret my decision for one second.

7. kraze0g

hmm, i liked everything except this point...

3. The Moto Droid is heavier. I'm not sure what the specs are, but it does feel like a brick in my hand. It's definitely not as pretty and light as the Eris. I kind of miss that, I kind of don't. I'm more of a tech geek, so I prefer function and potential over looks in a lot of ways. My wife has the Eris and thought that the Droid is ugly as heck. It's definitely not as pretty, that's for sure, but I'm looking at it right now and I don't have any feelings of wanting to throw up. It's not hideous. Just not as pretty.

While I don't think the Droid is ugly at all, it does look a little more masculine and is HEAVY to hold. It was also bulky to use in landscape mode to me.

-- while i know its not as pretty as the eris, i thought it at least looked okay from a girls standpoint. the fact that i have smaller hands and don't want anything that is too big and bulky and heavy is a major point ;o\ does everyone agree with what is said above? i really dont want to carry a brick when i go out at night :( i also dont want to look silly holding a brick to my head with my smaller hands and such.

8. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

Do what you feel is best for you. Do you know someone who still has a Droid so that you can get some extended hands-on? Playing with the ones at the store is not optimal as every Droid I played with at the store had a lag that mine did not.

At day 29 with my Droid I decided I would not be happy with it for the next two years. I switched to the Eris. Don't love it either but it's a lot more comfortable for me to use. To me the Droid was too heavy and bulky. I thought I needed a physical keyboard but I wasn't using the one on the Droid much at all. So to have extra bulk for something I wasn't going to use didnt make much sense. I do miss the awesome screen and faster processor from the Droid.

I love having an Android device to the point I can't stomache the thought of going back to my BB. I just am going to wait to see if a souped-up HTC or more rounded keyboardless Moto comes out and pay full price for it if it seems to fulfill my needs. In the mean time, using my 99 dollar Eris seems like the best compromise FOR ME. Everyone's needs are different and I hope you make the best decision for YOU.

9. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

Double post. Oops.

10. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

The Droid does more but the Eris is not as bulky. If you threw the Droid against the wall it would certainly dent your drywall and the Eris wouldn't.

11. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

This is a good point. The fact is that there will ALWAYS be a better, sexier, faster phone in a few months. Can anyone say that the Eris or Droid are not way better than what Verizon offered 2 years ago?

So, you need to know that you will ALWAYS be outdone by another phone eventually. Unless you want to keep plunking down $500 to $600 dollars twice a year for the latest and best phone, you need to be content with what you have.

BUT, if you have that kind of money to throw around when you want, great. Then just do that.

12. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

I don't have that kind of money really. Probably not many of use do. I have only paid full price for a phone in the 12 years I have had cellphones and have never had one replaced under warranty. And for me it's not about having the newest or greatest or best phone available- it's trying to find a phone that is a good combination of factors FOR me that I feel will keep me going for a while.
    That's the problem with tech. If you have to have the latest and greatest you will be constantly upgrading. I try to be practical. The last desktop I had before my current one I had for 5 years- upgraded a few things on it from time to time but it served what I needed it to do. Then when it became apparent it was at it's limit, I decided to build my own so I was able to get better customization for a better price than what a company would charge me.
    I usually do two years with my phones. I was done with my BB and eligible for an upgrade and Android is the bees knees LOL. So for the time being (or maybe the whole two years- who knows?) the Eris will do just fine. IF something that seems better for my purposes comes along on Verizon (doubt I will ever leave them) then I'll see if it makes sense at the time.

13. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Deshondra is slightly confused, or she's just a regular Verizon employee. What I'm confused about is why she was trying to downsell you.

The Eris has less memory and is noticeably slower during certain tasks. This is not because of the OS version. The Eris' OS is actually a little more polished and smooth. It's because the hardware is significantly different. Sure, in surfing the web there's not a huge difference, but in opening apps, and in the future when we see Flash, I can guarantee you the Droid will be significantly better.

If you want longevity, this is the best phone available right now. Everything will be outdone or outdated within a month or two anyways, so that's not really something you should concern yourself with. The Droid will be capable and powerful compared to other offerings for a while to come.

The phone is a little bit heavy, but it's not that big. It doesn't feel bulky in the pocket and it doesn't look bulky when you're holding it. As far as OS and browsing experience, well, this is about the best you're going to get. Flash is supported so will be available as soon as Adobe releases it, and the browsing is lightning quick even on 3G with excellent page rendering. There are some good alternative (and free) browser choices as well if you want to try pinch zooming, gestures, etc to make the experience better. As for the keyboard, there are no "serious design flaws" inherent with it. Some don't like the keyboard, or the slider, or something else about it, but the design/build is fine.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Basically, if you're looking for a phone that's going to last as long as possible before becoming obsolete, the Droid is the one you want. Don't listen to Deshondra.