Considering PurchaseGeneral

1. FireToad

FireToad Member

Hi, I am a long time lurker and I have a quick question about this phone from you guys who already own the device. I was considering purchasing the Nexus 5 as I need a new phone to replace my Motorola Atrix HD (the battery life is sub par in my opinion) and I was wondering if this handset is worth the $200. It would be much easier for me to get the cash for this phone rather than the Nexus seeing as it is I am closer to its price. I live in the U.S and I have 4G available which makes buying a 3G phone seem a bit silly. But I am on Wi-Fi most of the day and when I am not I am doing things that don't seem to need the fastest connection mostly browsing here, Reddit and websites like Engadget, also the occasional streaming of music from Spotify. People also complained about the camera, but to me it is just a point and shoot I own a dedicated camera for when I am anticipating taking quality photos.

Thanks in advance for any of the answers that you guys leave.

Advertisement
    :
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Battery life is pretty stellar IMO (it helps being 3G only); though it's nothing compared to my G2.
    3G speeds on T-Mo are pretty good for me, I average around 4-5Mbs down and 1-2Mbs up.
    The camera really isn't very good as you said. If you're outside with good light it's passable; don't even try using it inside. If money is the biggest deciding factor, it's a no brainer to get this phone. :)
    If you have any more questions, shoot!
    la sal likes this.
  3. FireToad

FireToad Member

I am really considering getting this phone now that I have a response that isn't a reviewer that harps on the one or two problems that the phone has. The battery life is one of the bigger reasons I may buy this phone and the hardware doesn't hurt its chances either. This $200 phone which is off contract already has better components (with the exception of the camera) than my current phone which required a contract to get for a reasonable price. But the only thing that is making me feel uneasy about the phone is the 3G even though you said that the speeds are fine. I am on AT&T if that tells you anything.
  4. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

xda forum has a whole thread with battery life screenshots. Most people who own that phone are happy with it.
  5. Oldgroaner

Oldgroaner Active Member

Perhaps you would be interested to see what the camera can actually do?
    Here is a slideshow for you
    Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here. | SmugMug

As with all Phone cameras, the Zoom isn't much use,and the camera tends to suffer from Flare,but among these images are some taken in very low light indeed in Hull's Aquarium, and it does very well there.
    There are also Artifacts if you use HDR techniques (I'm addicted) but they are not a problem on single shots.

I don't think the camera is the problem, but the supplied Camera App isn't very good, I use "A Better Camera App" which I find works for me
  6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

^ Are those all done with your Moto G? Pretty impressive! :)
  7. Oldgroaner

Oldgroaner Active Member

Yes indeed, I've been really happy with it!
    :D
  8. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

Its been a great phone for me so far. I say if its in your price range. Get it.
  9. playacrushalot

playacrushalot New Member

I love it. I think the camera is decent and kitkat makes voice recognition a breeze. I just got a case to protecty investment. Free cloud storage, kitkat,and a snapdragon all for a crazy low price put this phone in a category on its own
  10. bstimp

bstimp Active Member

Thank you for answering this camera question once and for all. Great shots bro.
    If you need better than this put the phone in your pocket and grab a camera. lol
  11. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Well-Known Member Contributor

As a fellow (ex) Atrix HD user I must ask what are you going to do with it because I still have my eb40 floating around..also the g out preformed the Atrix HD in just about everything even camera.. Just data speeds were lower
  12. justtom

justtom Well-Known Member

Love the phone just picked it up Tuesday and the price was ridicules cheep $ 99.99 @ the Verizon store none contract.
  13. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

Had it a week and I love it
  14. Karotte

Karotte Member

I am really happy with. It is unlocked and I have KK 4.4.2 version 174.44.1. It allows, with the help of an OTG cable, to read/write from/to an USB stick. This feature is unbeatable. Get a 16 GB, you won't regret.