considering rooting

Last Updated:

1. JJM619

JJM619 Member This Topic's Starter

I apologize if i'm beating up an old topic, I'm considering rooting my phone for mainly two reasons:

1) reduce lag, specifically lag when dialing out
    2) get rid of random restarts that started occuring with 2.1 update

...plus being able to store apps on sd card would be nice...

So I'm asking to all those with rooted heros, would rooting get rid of those two problems? I'm afraid I will brick my phone if i attempt to root it so I want to make sure that it's worth it to me.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Yes, rooting can potentially solve those problems with a custom ROM. Rooting in and of itself won't help those issues much.

3. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Unless you Flash a GSM Radio, you really can't brick your phone :). I have seen issues with people running into the older RUU problems, but being as you are already at 2.1, just be sure you read up on how to do it first before attempting.

As for fixing problems, lag will reduce but you may still have some. The AOSP keyboard has the least amount of "lag" in my opinion. As far as random restarts, I have had none...ever :).

JJM619 likes this.
  4. JJM619

is there a rom out there that is really stable or are they all dependable?

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Most of them are rather stable. If you are looking to stay as close to "stock" as possible I would recommend going with Fresh or DamageControl. Personally though, I love the Zenexp ROM.

Check HERE for a TON of ROMs.

JJM619 likes this.
  6. JJM619

thanks everyone for the info, i decided i'm going to root because i'm tired of my phone restarting every time i exit out of a program such as pandora, calender, etc., just had one more question...for the sake of the warranty is rooting something you can undo?

7. wardfan

wardfan Well-Known Member

Absolutely, all you have to do is reflash the stock android on there, you can do that with the one you get from Sprint.com or from one of the ones posted on XDA.

[GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers

This is a great walkthrough for rooting, also on post 2 the top link is for the 2.1 release if you need to reflash prior to the last OTA update, or when/if you decide you need stock rom on there (hopefully you won't ever go back :p).

Nothing against your post Kelmar, because I watch that link for new rom posts and stuff, but HERE is a quick list to look at that includes last date updated, which is basically the same thing, just easier on the eyes. Personally I'm stuck on the ZenEXP.

JJM619 likes this.
  8. JJM619

thanks again guys, rooted and flashed to fresh 2.1 last night, can't believe how easy that was, my phone hasn't restarted at all, i can actually enjoy my phone again