• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Considering switching from iphone..

legion21

May 27, 2010
Any current nexus one users that have switched from an iphone? I'm considering doing this just because the iphone os is getting a bit bland for me (ive been using it for 3 years). I've been reading and watching many youtube videos about the nexus one and android in general and i really like the direction google is going with the froyo update. The entire systems seems much more open compared to the iphone and that seems appealing after using the iphone for so long. So people who have switched are there any features you like better on the iphone than the nexus one or vice versa? Is it worth the $500+ price tags for the nexus one (gotta say that is the only thing holding me back right now)? or any other opinions would be nice as well!
Thanks for any replies :)

Any current nexus one users that have switched from an iphone? I'm considering doing this just because the iphone os is getting a bit bland for me (ive been using it for 3 years). I've been reading and watching many youtube videos about the nexus one and android in general and i really like the direction google is going with the froyo update. The entire systems seems much more open compared to the iphone and that seems appealing after using the iphone for so long. So people who have switched are there any features you like better on the iphone than the nexus one or vice versa? Is it worth the $500+ price tags for the nexus one (gotta say that is the only thing holding me back right now)? or any other opinions would be nice as well!
Thanks for any replies :)

Wait for the new update to be announced on June 7th and then decide. I switched from the 3GS and while I really like Android, I miss the iPhone OS a lot. Android isn't yet as polished or even close to as smooth as the iPhone OS and the apps leave a lot to be desired even compared to their iPhone counterparts. That being said, there are a few great features on Android that iPhone OS 4 still won't have (notification system, Google Voice, widgets etc.).

Upvote 0
I've had the 2G/3G/3GS iPhone, Moto DROID, and two N1's, and I prefer Android. I don't care for Apple's closed system or their attitude, and I hate iTunes. Google allows rooted apps on the marketplace, does not care if you root your phone, and generally just has a much more open attitude and pushes updates 4x as fast as Apple.

The fact that the iPhone has become average joes status symbol is also another reason I dumped it. Personally I would wait for June to end if the N1 price tag is a sticking point, it's possible AT&T may finally release something HTC Android related.

Upvote 0
I just switched from an iPhone 3gs to an N1 this week. I have to agree that Android doesn't seem as polished as the iPhone OS and the apps still leave a lot to be desired, but I switched for two reasons - the home screen and notification panel. I hate that on my iPhone I can't get any pertinent information on my home screen (without jailbreaking). If I want to see my appointments, I have to go into the calendar. If I want to know the weather, I have to open a weather app. I love the widgets, and I love the notification panel. Plus I can always swap my sim back to my iPhone if I start getting really nostalgic.

Upvote 0
I came from a 3G to my N1

No looking back. I really began to hate iPhone OS for what it was. Which is a big giant pile of icons that really look a lot alike. The only features I liked about the system were ones added with jailbreak.

Sure android may not have all the polish, but it has the features and the development community is slowly growing. I especially like that each app actually can control its own fate in terms of settings. Hated having to leave my app just to set some setting then wait for the reload.

And for what its worth, I actually like the style of Android better than iPhone. I hate all the shine and reflection on iPhone. Much prefer matte UIs

Only thing I mildly miss is the iPod app interface.

Reactions: vitalyb
Upvote 0
I pretty much agree with the iPhone switchers. Not as polished as iPhoneOS, but there is a lot more functionality, and it's much more customizable. Only had the n1 for a few days, but I am having fun playing/tweaking/etc. Happy with my switch thus far. (And impatiently awaiting the official froyo update...)

Upvote 0
I disagree that Android isn't as polished. It's just that Android does more.
If iPhone OS had widgets, an app menu, notification bar, multitasking, wallpapers, etc. it would run about 1/4 as smooth. The 600 Mhz processor runs amazingly on the iPhone OS because that OS doesn't do anything taxing to it.
Android doesn't seem as smooth as iPhone OS not because of it's limitations, but because of the lack of them.

Upvote 0
So of the people who have the responded, are you running froyo? or the one before that. From what i've read the froyo update is suppose to improve the os quite a bit. I will of course be waiting for the announcement of the new iphone, but from the leaks i've seen nothing is really making me jump out wanting to get it :/! And i have an ipod touch as well soo... Also are there any distinct problems you have encountered with the nexus one, not android itself, but this particular phone? Thanks for all the reply by the way :)

Upvote 0
I had the leaked version of FroYo, but went back to 2.1 when I realized the radio for 2.2 was for TMo (I have ATT, so the new radio reduced my 3G speeds by 75%). Other than that, FroYo is absolutely amazing, I can't wait for the real OTA to come out.

I think that the phone itself is fantastic, although the multitouch is sketchy at times. For everyday use like pinch to zoom it works great, but gaming sometimes is a little tough. Overall, I absolutely love the phone itself by huge margins.

Upvote 0
I notice a HUGE difference between 2.1 (Eclair) and 2.2 (FroYo).

There were a lot of Live Wallpapers that would lag the UI pretty badly when I would slide the home screens back and forth, and that drove me insane. That problem is no more on FroYo; it's smooth as ice.

For a while, I had been using Helix Launcher 2 (supports live walls) and prior to that, Home++ (no live wall support). Neither of which work right on 2.2 right now, but both were miles smoother than the stock launcher/UI. I don't have to worry about that anymore. I knew it was just the way it was designed. The wallpapers, themselves, didn't lag, but the UI did. I like the live walls too much :) -- Starfield is my favorite.

I haven't had any distinct problems, but I'm not as hardcore into it as some. When the official build for 2.2 FroYo is out and done, I'll update then root because I've been customizing some of the live wallpapers. And I want to get rid of Amazon MP3... and some other stock crap.

Upvote 0
I'll do it if you can hide the top notification bar...

EDIT: I don't see it in the Market. Running 2.2 FroYo right now.

As far as I know, you can't hide the notification bar yet. But, the dev is really good at listening to comments and updating to people's desires.

Odd that it doesn't show up in FroYo, I thought he updated it so that it would be compatible...

Upvote 0
As far as I know, you can't hide the notification bar yet. But, the dev is really good at listening to comments and updating to people's desires.

Odd that it doesn't show up in FroYo, I thought he updated it so that it would be compatible...

/shrug

There's only one reason why I'd use a home replacement right now... and that's to hide the notification bar. I'm considering rooting my phone after the RC 2.2 comes out so I can at least make it transparent, and maybe remove the clock.

Upvote 0
switched from the iphone to the n1 over a month ago. ive been using the 3G then the 3GS and now i'm on the nexus one, i've never had any regrets. job's closed system and very dictatorial way of running the iphone put me off, itunes runs very slow on a quad pc, almost no customization, sms tones cannot be user customized, 50k apps yeah but 45k of them are crap though

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones