• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Considering the Archos 70/101-What's your opinion?

euph_22

Android Expert
Feb 24, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I'm considering having letting Uncle Sam buy me an Archos 70 or 101 (the joys of being incredibly poor during Tax Year 2010 :) ). What do you guys like about it, especially compared to other Tablets (possibly wait for the iPad 2 to come out, and pick up an iPad classic for cheap, or gTablet, or something similar)? And more importantly, what DON'T you like about it? What's annoying or could be better? I'm also considering either the Nook, or Kindle (definitely like something I can read on [which I know the eInk devices do a far better job], but multitasking would also be nice).

Also, I know that I can root, but are there any options for ROMs?

And does anybody use one with a Droid Incredible? Can i tether out of the box, or do I need to root the phone?

Thanks for any input!

Did you actually physically play with and compare the Nook to a 70 or 101?

I picked up a 101 for the girlfriend and played with it long enough to add the Market to it, move some of the home panel icons around and start one of the included movies.

The 101 versus my Evo: Its not too bad but yeah, the screen on the 101 isn't as impressive as I'd hoped for. - I'm thinking she's going to have a hard time viewing it outdoors too which is something she will probably want to do when the weather is good...

I'm curious if maybe I shouldn't have gone the Nook route myself now.... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Did you actually physically play with and compare the Nook to a 70 or 101?

I picked up a 101 for the girlfriend and played with it long enough to add the Market to it, move some of the home panel icons around and start one of the included movies.

The 101 versus my Evo: Its not too bad but yeah, the screen on the 101 isn't as impressive as I'd hoped for. - I'm thinking she's going to have a hard time viewing it outdoors too which is something she will probably want to do when the weather is good...

I'm curious if maybe I shouldn't have gone the Nook route myself now.... :thinking:

No. I wish I could have but it's kind of hard to when nobody carries the thing (atleast none of the 5 stores in NW Minnesota/NE Wisconsin).

Although I know UBRocked has both (I think he has the A70, but dollars to donuts the screens are basically the same, minus the size/resolution change).

Reactions: GratefulDiver
Upvote 0
No. I wish I could have but it's kind of hard to when nobody carries the thing (atleast none of the 5 stores in NW Minnesota/NE Wisconsin).

Although I know UBRocked has both (I think he has the A70, but dollars to donuts the screens are basically the same, minus the size/resolution change).

Yeah, they are comparable. The higher resolution on the Nookcolor is gonna be nice for Honeycomb...but for Froyo all it really means is smaller icons, smaller text...but better quality due to the higher resolution.

I've never had an issue with either screen...they are both nice.

Reactions: GratefulDiver
Upvote 0
I'm considering having letting Uncle Sam buy me an Archos 70 or 101 (the joys of being incredibly poor during Tax Year 2010 :) ). What do you guys like about it, especially compared to other Tablets (possibly wait for the iPad 2 to come out, and pick up an iPad classic for cheap, or gTablet, or something similar)? And more importantly, what DON'T you like about it? What's annoying or could be better? I'm also considering either the Nook, or Kindle (definitely like something I can read on [which I know the eInk devices do a far better job], but multitasking would also be nice).

Also, I know that I can root, but are there any options for ROMs?

And does anybody use one with a Droid Incredible? Can i tether out of the box, or do I need to root the phone?

Thanks for any input!
I have my Archos on order from Amazon, so all I can say is I got it, because I love Android, and for the fact that Archos has already put out a lot of firmware updates.....try and get that for the Xoom from Verizon!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones