Considering the Archos 70/101-What's your opinion?General

Last Updated: 2011-09-13 07:59:03
  1. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

I'm considering having letting Uncle Sam buy me an Archos 70 or 101 (the joys of being incredibly poor during Tax Year 2010 :) ). What do you guys like about it, especially compared to other Tablets (possibly wait for the iPad 2 to come out, and pick up an iPad classic for cheap, or gTablet, or something similar)? And more importantly, what DON'T you like about it? What's annoying or could be better? I'm also considering either the Nook, or Kindle (definitely like something I can read on [which I know the eInk devices do a far better job], but multitasking would also be nice).

Also, I know that I can root, but are there any options for ROMs?

And does anybody use one with a Droid Incredible? Can i tether out of the box, or do I need to root the phone?

Thanks for any input!

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

euph_22 likes this.
  3. Vipfreak

Vipfreak Well-Known Member

Any tablet coming out soon is going to kick the Archos in the rear so I'd recommend waiting. If you want a pretty decent inexpensive tablet now, then Archos is good. I don't regret it.

Edit: I tether my rooted EVO to my 7o all the time. No probs here.
    euph_22 likes this.
  4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

I agree, there will be better android tablets out soon, but I doubt we will see them for a few months yet and not for less than
    euph_22 likes this.
  5. Vipfreak

Vipfreak Well-Known Member

C'mon! You forgot THIN, REALLY THIN! lol :p
  6. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

euph_22 likes this.
  7. gygeek

gygeek Member

Although I haven't used the bigger tablet, the 70 with the capacitive screen beats all other devices I've had with resistive touch screens. Can't beat the price.
    euph_22 likes this.
  8. euph_22

Well I just bought a Nook Color. I decided that I mostly wanted an eReader that can do other things, the Nook was a better choice. And that screen is awesome!
  9. UBRocked

Enjoy! ;)
  10. GratefulDiver

GratefulDiver New Member

Did you actually physically play with and compare the Nook to a 70 or 101?

I picked up a 101 for the girlfriend and played with it long enough to add the Market to it, move some of the home panel icons around and start one of the included movies.

The 101 versus my Evo: Its not too bad but yeah, the screen on the 101 isn't as impressive as I'd hoped for. - I'm thinking she's going to have a hard time viewing it outdoors too which is something she will probably want to do when the weather is good...

I'm curious if maybe I shouldn't have gone the Nook route myself now.... :confused:
  11. euph_22

No. I wish I could have but it's kind of hard to when nobody carries the thing (atleast none of the 5 stores in NW Minnesota/NE Wisconsin).

Although I know UBRocked has both (I think he has the A70, but dollars to donuts the screens are basically the same, minus the size/resolution change).
    GratefulDiver likes this.
  12. UBRocked

Yeah, they are comparable. The higher resolution on the Nookcolor is gonna be nice for Honeycomb...but for Froyo all it really means is smaller icons, smaller text...but better quality due to the higher resolution.

I've never had an issue with either screen...they are both nice.
    GratefulDiver likes this.
  13. GratefulDiver

GratefulDiver New Member

Thanks guys.. - Saved me time going to B&N to check out the Nook in person which is a lot more valuable than it probably sounds.. ;)

Thanks again! :D
  14. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

At HHGreg they sell the 70 for $180 and the 101 for $300 this week.
  15. linuxmel

linuxmel Well-Known Member

I have my Archos on order from Amazon, so all I can say is I got it, because I love Android, and for the fact that Archos has already put out a lot of firmware updates.....try and get that for the Xoom from Verizon!!!
  16. and_86

and_86 New Member

I am not a tablet kind of guy, but it looks and sounds neat.
    Archos 70 eReader is also a good option and not that pricey.