Constant Clicking Sound - sounds electricalSupport

Last Updated:

1. jgirl65

jgirl65 Member

I am hoping it is only the bad weather we are having this morning. My "beloved" Epic was working perfectly last night but this morning as it sits here, it is making a low clicking noise (about every 3-5 seconds). Almost sounds like electrical something. Nothing has happened to the phone (no water, dropped or anything).

Has anyone experienced this with their phone? I only got it less than 2 weeks ago too. The phone is perfect so far (obviously room for improvements with 2.2 but I am actually quite happy as is). I am so hesitant to even have to replace it because my battery life has been amazing!!! I feel like a got very lucky with this one. I still have tons of juice left by the time I go to bed at night (which is when I recharge it.).

If it keeps up all day today I'll bring it in to Sprint. But in the meantime, any suggestions as to what it is?

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Could be a speaker issue. I'd try a reboot first. Then (controversial) I'd do a live battery pull (device on, remove battery).

Any media left running in the background?
    jgirl65 likes this.
  3. jgirl65

jgirl65 Member

FRISCO - Thank you so much! I turned off my phone and waited a minute and turned it back on. Seems to have solved the problem. I'm hoping that it won't be a sign of a future problem though.

I am very new to having a smartphone that actually does something. I had a BB and it (to me) didn't do much. I am learning as I go. I am so happy with my new phone though, it is so much better than I had imagined and it's fun learning new tricks and tips from this board.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Good to see it's resolved, jgirl.
  5. big3etr

big3etr Active Member

i get the same thing. I am running VIPERrom 2.6 w/lagfix and I'm rooted. I think I get it when my BT headphones (Motorola S305's) disconnect from the phone. The only way to correct it, is to reboot the phone. I hear a sound coming from the earpiece speaker. It sounds like its making a connection then it shuts off. It constantly repeats this until I reboot. Is this the same thing you were talking about or something else???
  6. rosie2490

rosie2490 Active Member

Same happened to me and with a soft reset the problem went away. My ultra techy friend said it could happen again but then again it may not. Apparently its a driver issue and not a speaker issue. Don't know how to fix it though but it hasn't happened again after that soft reset.
  7. gseseske

gseseske New Member

This 'clicking' just started happening for me today (running TrulyEpic ROM)...the first day I connected the BT to my car. Power cycle fixes it. Is this related to being rooted/running a custom ROM, or does it happen on stock phones as well?

ALKATRAZZ Member

I noticed this on my phone for about a month now. Powering cycling my phone seemed to fix it but now it seems to reoccur at least 2 times a day. Any possible way to fix this or anyone have more info. Also the sounds that come from my phone sound muffled and distorted. All help is appreciated.
  9. tara10

tara10 New Member

Just got my Epic about a week and a half ago. I noticed it making this clicking noise today. Drove me crazy trying to figure out where the noise was coming from and I found this thread when I googled the problem. My phone is completely stock so its not related to being rooted. It did go away when I restarted it but it worries me that I've already got a problem on such a new phone.
  10. Orville R.

Orville R. New Member

My Epic 4g starts the click every once in a while. I used to think it was the speaker (and maybe it is), but I think it could be internal. I always reboot to fix, but I want to figure out what it is. It sounds like this: gently pluck the end of your thumbnail with the nail on your index finger like it was a guitar string.

ALKATRAZZ Member

This is starting to happen alot more frequent now, 4 times today!!!
  12. mohlinater

mohlinater New Member

Hey, so I was getting this clicking sound on my 4th new Epic (yes 4th, I got a new one after the unintentional froyo release and all of the refurbished ones were complete crap). I just got this new one about 5 days ago and it has been doing it for about 3 or 4 days. Mine was related to my blue tooth, it has only happened so far when the blue tooth is on, so I just disconnected it and the clicking stopped, even after I connected it again.
  13. hillyjd

hillyjd New Member

I noticed my Epic started doing this a week or two ago. Not sure, but it seems to coincide with getting my new Plantroics BT. Shutting off BT does stop the clicking, but only for a minute or two, then it starts again even with BT off. Reboot does seem to stop the problem, as long as I keep BT off.