• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Constant Reboots: ICS update or something else?

I've had this phone for almost six months without any problems, but on Monday I was at work (phone in my pocket) and for some reason I got a TON of reminder messages from Sprint all at once (like, 15 of them.). I was busy at the moment so I couldn't deal with the phone, so I let it keep vibrating but after a few minutes I realized it was getting pretty hot so I pulled it out, turned it off, and put it away in my backpack to cool down.

I get on my break a couple hours later, turn it on, and find that I've lost half of my apps. There was still icons, but I'd click them and it would say "App not installed" okay, fine. Redownloaded, app data is still there, didn't lose any game progresses or settings or anything.

Go back to work with phone in pocket, and every few minutes I start hearing the reboot tone. I think it's just acting up from the overheating and I turned it off for the rest of the night.

Fast forward to today, and I've been having the same problem all week: If the phone is on and not being used, it's rebooting. If I'm using it, it won't reboot. If it's on the charger, it won't reboot. Only after the screen has gone to sleep after leaving it alone for a few minutes does it start this constant reboot cycle. There's no battery drop after the reboot, and the phone does not get hotter after every reboot. It just... restarts. Nonstop.

I don't know what kind of update it was, but there was a system update I had kept ignoring for a few days and when I finally did upgrade (on Halloween) I didn't have any problems and it didn't seem like anything had visually changed. I had read about people having reboot problems after upgrading to ICS but I'm pretty sure I was running ICS before... and the reboot problem wasn't as severe.

I took the battery out and did the spin test to see if it was bulging and it's still flat.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I've had my phone get hot before and never had a problem afterwards. I don't have a protection plan on it so I don't know what good it would do for me to take it in to the Sprint store (I got it through Best Buy mobile though...).

I'm just about ready to do a factory reset to see if that helped any but I wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions.

(Obviously I'm not very tech-oriented when it comes to phones, so it would be kind of you to dumb it down a little. I've only got a very vague idea of flashing roms and kernels and whatnot.)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones