Constantly vanishing data on SD cardSupport

Last Updated:

1. Noclaf

Noclaf Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I was not sure, where to post this problem - I guess it's not phone-related issue - so I hope this is the correct place. :)

I have a HTC DHD and I'm switching from 8GB to 32GB SDHC card. I copied all data from my old card to PC, formatted the 32GB to FAT32 and copied all data to 32GB card from computer. At this moment, PC does see all the files correctly moved to new SDHC card.
    But(t). When I map the 32GB card in the phone, most of the files is simply gone. Just empty directories remain (note - I'm using the Astro file manager ). When I look at the SD card properties in the phone, used space is however equal to number what it should be with all the files correctly moved :confused: - this difference in space used is in DiskUsage marked as "System data".:mad:
    When I put the card in the computer again, files not present in the phone are gone also in the computer. However used disk space is still matching ( weird joke ), but when I select all the files and directories on the card, they have only size of the remaining files ( let's say ~1/3 of used space ) the rest is "elsewhere" :confused: (yes, I do have hidden&system files unhided ).

Please, what is the reason for this card "behaviour"? I'm really desperate...
    Thanks

Note : No root, no custom ROM

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

When you removed the SD card from the PC, did you press "eject" before you removed it? If not, it may have been still copying files over, and you removed it before it completed.

A lot of people just pull out USB sticks and SD cards without properly ejecting, and these errors are the result.

3. Noclaf

1) of course
    2) from my experience this would only affect data in the cache - in most cases last few file etc. - I'm loosing around 2GB of 3GB in total...

------------------

EDIT - It seems to me, that DHD has "some" problem and the system corrupts data on the card after mounting.

I have tried fast / regular formatting before copying the files, and also formating in the phone / in the PC. No difference. No unreadable/bad sectors found during regular format.

4. DeathEater

DeathEater New Member

There are an awful lot of counterfeit 32 GB cards out there...especially those sold on sites like ebay. I learned that the hard way. What you are describing is exactly what I experienced with such a card. did you get it from a reliable source?

5. dadsincharge

dadsincharge New Member

If you put the card in your phone, let the phone format it and then connect using the USB - setting the phone to Disk Drive and copy the files that way.

6. Noclaf

Problem unfortunately seems to be solved.
    Despite the fact that card could be fully formated, it's probably fake one. After copying any data, after unmounting and mounting to PC everything above ~1GB vanished. Damned.

Thank you all for advices. :)

7. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member