Contact Groups Sync 2.1General

Last Updated:

1. Sketchee

Sketchee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On 1.5 I had synced only a few contact groups. Cant find this option on the ota

Advertisement
  2. Sketchee

I've been searching the forums and found several unanswered threads on this topic. Can anyone confirm that this feature is no longer available at all at least?

3. Sketchee

Crickets?

4. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Correct. You can, however, limit it to just showing your "My Contacts" contacts in the People app. In People, hit menu>View and un-check the box for "Show auto Gmail contacts".

Sketchee and pick up pies like this.
  5. Sketchee

Thanks for providing an answer. I've already done that, but it still gives me a few hundred of contacts that I want to save online but not on my phone. The pain of being a Google Contacts user long before I even had an Android phone.

It's too bad that this update took away such a useful organizational feature.

6. Boston2AZ

Boston2AZ Member

I feel the same way. Why would I want to have hundreds of contacts showing when I really only need the 25 or so that I made a folder for in gmail? Another problem is that, with 1.5, it used to only give you the option of sending a message to the mobile phone number. Now it gives you the option of sending it to ANY phone number, including a land line (?). Now when I send a text, I have to make sure it's going to the right number. I could make multiple entries for each person, but doesn't that create more bulk? Now watch - someone will post telling me to "deal with it". They're probably right. I mean now I have really nifty animation! LOL! I'll be going back to a regular phone as soon as my contract is up. Pity. I really loved this phone until yesterday.

7. Mark16q

Mark16q Well-Known Member

somewhere in the options is the ability to show only mobile numbers. I've been digging through so many menus I don't recall where that is, and it's possibly only in Handcent, but when I went 1.5 to 2.1 had to find that option to make sending group texts tolerable.

Mark

8. Boston2AZ

Boston2AZ Member

I guess that I could do the following: Stop the sync with gmail. Delete all of the contacts from my phone. Enter all of the people I really want in my phone want as new contacts, with a separate entry for Home, Mobile, Work. Then I would skip Groups altogether. Seems like a lot of work, but maybe it's the most viable option.

9. Mark16q

Mark16q Well-Known Member

I did sort of the reverse. I created a group on gmail that is used only for group texting. So when sending my text that particular gmail group, I select that group from within Handcent and it automatically populates all the mobile numbers. Works perfectly for texting, and on the phone, I don't have those displaying as they do duplicate some of my phone contacts.

10. Boston2AZ

Boston2AZ Member

Bet that works great if you're sending to multiple people. But I just do one at a time and it's a PITA. Why couldn't they just have left it alone?