Contact Icon/Photo Caller ID Photo Quality??Tips

Last Updated:

1. scudder

scudder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello...

I was setting up some photos for the Photo Caller ID function for incoming calls and was rather disappointed at the quality of the image that comes up.

I either add an image to the contact in the People app or I go to the gallery and chose to "Set as..." a contact icon. The picture pops up and you are given a little square crop/zoom tool to chose the portion of the picture that you want as you icon/photo caller ID.

When I stretch the square OUT as big as possible to crop and then set the image with the contact, the caller ID image that comes up is GOOD. However, ANY cropping/zooming is SIGNIFICANTLY DEGRADES/PIXELATES the image that is chosen.

I'm not using the FULL 8MB resolution (set to 5MP) for the camera and I KNOW if you crop AND ZOOM any image, the more you zoom the worse the quality of the picture, But the 5MP shots I have should be MORE THAN sufficient to produce a little square of a photo caller ID. I had photo caller ID that popped up on my Palm Centro with photos was cropped to 320 x 320 and saved with LOW resolution and those photos were VERY clear. Even with the crop and zoom that is required to produce the contact/photo caller ID image, the 5MP photos I am using should be MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to produce a clear image.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?? Is there a fix/trick for the quality to improve?? Here we have this big BEAUTIFUL screen and you crop a nice-sized 5MP picture for a tiny square caller ID photo and the quality is HORRIBLE!! :-(

THANK YOU!!

Scott

Advertisement
  2. Mateo

Mateo Well-Known Member

I noticed this as well. A friend of mine took a picture on her phone with a 5mp camera and when I opened the mms it looked great. When I used it as her contact photo and saw it in the favorites box as well as when she called it looks like crap.

3. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

This problem seams to be brought up every night. It has to do with google syncing contacts. Check post #4 for a workaround. Not pretty but it works.

scudder likes this.
  4. ez2bgman

ez2bgman Member

5. scudder

scudder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Mabster...

Thanks for the link...I read about the fix. Sorry about my post as I really DID try to search before posting a previously-posted question...thanks!!

Scott

6. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

Yea people keep asking the question using different titles and terms so it's not a surprise you couldn't find an answer with a search. This should probably get sticking in the tips and tricks area or something.

@ez2bgman thanks for that link. I knew it was out there somewhere but I couldn't find it.

7. ez2bgman

ez2bgman Member

Mabster,

No problem. I too had a hard time searching for the info initially. I sifted through several pages before I found that link.

8. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Good Idea.

Moving.

TS

9. Raadius

Raadius Well-Known Member

Will this work for Facebook? Since I'm not using Google to use my friends pics, I'm using there FB profile pics.