Contact Images/Icons - wtfSupport

Last Updated:

1. goon55

goon55 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my droid 2. All set up and rolling. However, I am adding shortcuts to my contacts on my desktop (ala the d1) by pressing and holding the screen, then Shortcuts > Contact. I scroll to the contact and select it. and it adds them to the home screen. Unfortunately, it adds them with the WRONG icon. It IS an existing icon for a user just not the user I am selecting. Also:

- before I select the user, the icon/image is correct.
    - If I search contacts, the icon/image is correct.
    - I log into gmail and look at my contacts and the image/icon is correct.
    - I tried to add a NEW icon/image by taking a new pic with the camera. The user updates, but it still displays the wrong pic when I add the shortcut.

It is only when I add it to the home screen as a shortcut when it gets jacked. Anyone else seeing this or have a solution?

Also, I use google to sync all my contacts. I use gmail to set the icons. There is only a certain size which can be used. but on the D2, the same contact icons/images seem to be blown out. Like I COULD use a bigger size image, bug I dont think that Google allows it? Anyone know what size contact image the 2 can handle and a way to use that image through gmail?

So far, moving from a D1 to a D2Im not completely impressed. but it is faster and works well. except for this issue. And the moto blur crap.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Just verifying...I tried it on a contact w/a picture, and no picture appeared on the shortcut.

3. goon55

Also to note... when using the (HORRIBLE) motorola contact widget the icon/image IS correct. but cmon, is this widget even useful? How many people have only one number? And I need a 4x4 widget for one contact... mobile, home, text, email, etc.. BS. Really the function on the D1 of adding a shortcut to a contact is much better. add em, click the icon, then it asks you what you want to do (text, call, email, talk, etc)... the D2 still does this but you have to go into Contacts and click on the person first before getting the options.

Not hating the D2, just hoping it's as functional...

4. goon55

no one else is having this issue?

5. skip1214

skip1214 New Member

I wnet from the D1 to D2. Very disappointed.
    1) Cannot sync exchange pictures/icons
    2) Contact shortcut stinks
    3) Car and home dock functionality down
    4) still cannot sort contacts by lastname or company name

Just to name a few.

6. student4ever

student4ever New Member

Just got a D2 over the weekend, so not familiar with the previous functionality... but if you can get images assigned to contacts, you're a step ahead of me...

I can step through what seems to be the process of assigning a contact image, but it won't actually do it. Same type of thing is happening when I try to assign speed dial numbers. Go through the steps and nothing sticks...

Basic functionality like this is frustrating to not be able to do. :confused:

7. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

Select the contact for which you want to add a pic. Hit menu - edit, click the icon on the upper left hand side, choose gallery instead of the files app, it doesn't work if using the files app.

As to the original thread, I added a contact to my homescreen, it has the correct pic.