Contact Images in the Phone DialerGeneral

1. akaivyleaf

akaivyleaf Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I moved from the S3 to the S4 on Friday and while a lot of the new features I do like...I'm perplexed about a few as well. The first being how contact photos appear to be distorted and small on the S4-stock phone dialer.

On the S3, when I completed a call, the upper 1/2 of the screen would have the image of the contact (photo derived from Facebook) with the six buttons (add call, keypad, end call etc) on the bottom. On the S4, the picture doesn't fill the entire upper half of the screen, instead its in a smaller box, horribly distorted and frankly barely recognizable. I find it hard to believe that the S3 could display a better picture than the S4. I understand about the fact that Facebook might save at a lower resolution than if I pasted my own picture in for contacts, but I don't understand how the resolution and functionality can be different from the s3 to the s4. Any help on changing my phone dialer to behave as it did on the S3?

I'll post another thread about the inconsistencies of some of the "air" features - Air View and Air Gesture.

Advertisement
  2. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

It's not hard to believe. How many times has a product been "improved" when in actuality it's a lot worse?

Save your breath! Many of the new "gimmicky" features on the S4 are inconsistent or don't work. Some people claim they work for them, but I have gotten to the point where they are all disabled to save me processing power, increase phone speed and to prevent me from getting overly frustrated. :)

If you are comfortable with rooting...I highly recommend it as you can fix many of the software foibles and turn the S4 into the phone it should have been. The hardware is amazing so we have a lot to work with.
  3. akaivyleaf

akaivyleaf Well-Known Member

Perhaps if I include pictures... I might get some more answers? I would like my calls to display a big picture clearly.

Attached Files:

4. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

It's not S4 problem. You need to remember that facebook profile pic is only 180x180 pixels. Display size 160x160

Now, the S3 screen was 1280x720 px, while S4 is 1920x1080 px, so naturally, the photo that was taking more space on S3 screen, will take noticeably less of space on S4.

The only way to get them fill the screen real estate space, is to go through facebook, collect photos of your contacts, and edit them one by one, through Gmail - Contacts, or directly on your phone.

That's how I do, and they look amazing. Especially that I monotone the photos to work with Samsung's UI, so they look like part of the interface. I could never stand profile pics of cats, cars or some other weird stuff people put :)
  5. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

BLACKTOOTHGRIN Well-Known Member

I feel your pain man. ;)
    The UI of the dialer and caller ID is just garbage IMO.
    You might check out an app called HD Caller ID. (free)
    Thats what I'm currently using.
    It allows you to enlarge your contacts picture to a large size basically like you had on your S3.
    It also allows you to add or remove the name and number if you choose,
    and gives a couple other slider options for answering the call.
    It works well and makes the pictures looks alot better. (providing they are high resolution of course)
    It DOES have a Sync with Facebook button, so that may or may not work for you,
    but keep in mind....if you want great looking pics you need to use higher resolution pics,
    As stated before.
    IMO best results come from manually assigning contact pics that are at a higher resolution, but for that, your contact pics need to be stored in a folder on your phone.
    Yeah...its a bit more work, but is worth it to me.:)
  6. FishenFool

FishenFool Well-Known Member

First problem is letting the contacts sync with Facebook. I try as hard as possible to make sure my phone never syncs with Facebook.
  7. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

On a related note, I noticed the contact shortcuts I put on my phone have pictures that are not not centered. In other words, their pictures in the contacts list is fine. But in the shortcut on the screen, the picture is shifted to the right, so it literally chops their faces. Has anyone else noticed this and if so, were you able to resolve it?