• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contact Issue

cmerrtt

Nov 15, 2009
I purchased my Eris yesterday and when the store downloaded my contacts from my previous phone to the Eris I ended up with duplicate contacts that number 1109. I manually deleted the duplicates and the phone did not want to sync. Went back to the Verizon store and we did "hard reset". This time they entered the contacts and opened my GMail account in opposite way and the phone did sync to my GMail contacts on the PC - all duplicated. I went to my PC Gmail and cleaned them up. Next, I deleted the contacts i my phone (all 624 of them) so I could re-sync them with my PC correctly. It now will not sync because "the deleted amount exceeded the limit". I have three options --

Delete the items
Undo the deletes
Do Nothing for now

I would just like to know if anyone can help me to re-sync my phone contacts from my PC? Would it work to attach the phone to the PC manually?

Thank you in advance!

i, too, have an eris, and when i bought it i had the verizon rep sync my gmail account thinking it would pull all my contacts from google and add them to my phone. instead i got a similar notification. it says: 'Too many contacts deletes. Delete limit exceeded. There are 117 deleted items for contacts. What would you like to do?' Then it gives me the same options you mentioned. i chose to 'Delete the items', but the notification won't go away. i've also noticed in the settings that it keeps trying to sync, but to no avail. it says there is a problem with sync and that it should be up and running soon, but it hasn't worked yet. anyone have any advice?

i should add that my google calendar synced just fine. wonder why it won't do the same with my contacts?

Upvote 0
I'm having this same problem, but I'm nervous to do what is said above because I don't want to lose all my contacts.

If I delete my google contacts and then select "delete all" on my phone (when I click on the sync error message), will it save my phone contacts still, or will I need to start from scratch?

Upvote 0
Hello,

as you might try to delete your Google Contacts as a solution to this problem, you are likely to fear complete data loss. As I have a similar problem, as you guys, I looked for an option to export the Google Contacts. As I found one, it is also easy and fast to use.

Open your GMail Account, and select the "Contacts" link in the left part of the page (either above or beneath your labels, as you configured it). The opening page has Export and Import buttons on the top right. There you can export all contacts to *.csv files and similar and save them as a file on your PC.

So, if You have to delete your contacts on your GMail account, there seems to be this way of regaining them all, as you need and wish.

Hopefully, this helps somebody!

Bye

PS: Warning: I didn't import my Google Contacts, yet. So, please, be careful on relying on this feature!

Upvote 0
I had that issues when the VZW Store did my phone contacts exchange, the rep didn't know what the error mean't.

How I fixed it. I backed up my contacts with HTC sync to Outlook Express. There is an option under HTC Sync Preferences to overwrite Phone to PC. I then exported this file to .csv file, and imported into Google contacts. Google Contacts has a duplicate merge option. You might still need to fix up few contacts.

After this, I did a factory reset on my phone (this is cause 2.1 OTA was buggy with regular upgrade). I then added my google accounts, and now all my contacts are with google, rather phone. No more errors. In fact I can update google contacts if anything changes, and it will sync to phone.

Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones