• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contact List Lost?!

nexs666

Lurker
Nov 27, 2010
Just upgraded from BB Curve to Optimus S yesterday. Had full contact list upon leaving Sprint Store. This morning I had 3, all of which were gmail addresses. Tech line was baffled but girl at store though it had something to do with gmail. Took me through steps to import contacts from SD card but there was nothing on the card to import. Worse, I donated my old phone and it left the store this afternoon. Is there a way around this, or am I just gonna have to start from scratch? Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if the answer isn't quite what I want to hear. :rolleyes: Thanks.

Did you already have a gmail account prior to activating your Optimus? If you did, were your contacts associated with it? If you didn't, did you create one after they were transferred to your Optimus? If that is the case, then I am afraid they are likely gone. I remember reading this happening on other Android forums with other phones.

Upvote 0
Despite the fact that Sprint has been selling Android phones for well over a year now, the techs at the Sprint stores still do NOT understand how Android works with regards to syncing up the phone with your required google account. Twice I've taken an Android phone to a Sprint Store to get the newest OS installed on it. When they do that, they wipe the phone clean. Both times I told them to NOT back up anything, because it's all already on my Google account. Once I connected the freshly wiped phone to my account, all my contacts would be resynced. Unfortunately, both times they did back up and restore my contacts, and then when I entered my google account info, all my contacts were duplicated. The Sprint Techs are still in the mindset of every phone having a local contact list that needs to be copied over, and it is greatly hurting the Android experience. I'm sorry they messed up your contacts.

Upvote 0
I went back to the Sprint store and they fixed it. When you first get the phone you need to set up your gmail acct (for all the apps) before you copy over your contacts. Then once you copy the contacts you should be all set. They also changed some settings for me so adding new contacts is not an issue.

Go into Contacts, Display settings, click on your gmail acct and then make sure everything is checked off on that drop down list.

Hopes this helps with peoples issues, it fixed mine!

Reactions: 1D10T
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones