• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contact List Sorting Options?

Hi,
Can you change the way the contact list is sorted? I have a lot of companies in my list with no contact name and they currently list by the phone number or email address instead of by company name. Sorting by last name first would be nice too!

Did you sent up your contacts through Google? If so have you placed them into groups? This makes it much easier to locate a certain company.

Upvote 0
How can there NOT be an option to sort by last names?! This new Android way of doing some things is going to take some getting used to. After 8 years of BlackBerry there is quite an adjustment period.

I couldn't find a way to sort by last name, but the group method works really well. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's an app to help sort contacts better, if not, there will be.

Upvote 0
It was a pain in the ass for me to do it, but this should work. But you have to upload all of your contacts to your gmail account.
The thing I hated about this is I had a million contacts on gmail already that I didn't want. So I Pretty much deleted all of them. I'm assuming you have your contacts saved on your PC somewhere(ex. Outlook or Windows Contacts). I saved all of mine from my iphone as a Vcard file on the PC using Windows Contacts.

Once the contacts are saved as a Vcard file, open up your gmail account and click on "contacts" on the left side. From there, select "import contacts" on the left side and locate your Vcard file. Once the file is uploaded to your gmail, you can arrange the contacts by first or last name.

I hope this helps and works for you.

Upvote 0
Hi,
Can you change the way the contact list is sorted? I have a lot of companies in my list with no contact name and they currently list by the phone number or email address instead of by company name. Sorting by last name first would be nice too!

without the ability to customize how they are sorted I may not keep the Epic. It's amazing to me how poor the professional aspects of the smartphones are! Switching from a Blackberry due to huge calendar & contacts weaknesses. Have heard great things about Androids and tested out the switch to google calendar and contacts. Can organize it there, but only groups go to the phone, and then 1/2 the groups have 'system group' as the start of their title vs. the name ie 'family'.

And sorting by first name is the most ridiculous thing in the world, IMHO......

Anyone have solutions? good free apps? concrete info re andoid upgrade options?

(sorting my last name just seems like such a simple, basic thing....!)

Upvote 0
This is one of several seemingly small issues that drove me back to my BlackBerry for 6 months. I just re-activated my Evo figuring I'd give it another try. I'm running Android 2.3.3 unrooted. Still no contacts sort by last name. WTF? I also can't seem to get contacts to display with titles like "Dr."

edit: This was supposed to be in the Evo section. The forum search feature got me here. Oops!

Upvote 0
This is one of several seemingly small issues that drove me back to my BlackBerry for 6 months. I just re-activated my Evo figuring I'd give it another try. I'm running Android 2.3.3 unrooted. Still no contacts sort by last name. WTF? I also can't seem to get contacts to display with titles like "Dr."

edit: This was supposed to be in the Evo section. The forum search feature got me here. Oops!
On my Evo Shift with 2.3.3 and HTC Sense, the options to sort are located under People/Menu/View. The options for Sort and "View by" both allow Last Name

Upvote 0
Hi,
is there anyway for me to remove my contacts from my Epic 4G?
I have managed to get double of each contact! :)
I just got the phone, and before I bought a 'sync' program I copied over my contacts from my mac. Then when I sync my phone I got another set as well. I thought [foolish me] that the sync program would just replace the contacts that were already there... LOL!
I have gone back to the dir were I placed the contact the first time, and removed them. I made no difference. I also tried removing one copy manually [boy that was a pain,] but no luck.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
lek

Upvote 0
Thanks badankles, but I don't use google to store my contacts.
I like to keep things local... I am not fond of storing my info in anyone's 'cloud' (unless I can't help it.)

Cheers,
lek

umm...okay, good luck with that. actually, if all your contacts are on phone, then use the export to sd card option. then grab the file via pc to see if you can manipulate it. once done, put it back on sd card and import them back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones