• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contact names are too short! help!

pcbigdawg

Lurker
Jan 26, 2011
This will most probably be something simple and obvious but i cannot find out how to do it.
When i look at my contact names in the phone list i can only input 12 letters for people's names. I dont get the option to put in first and last names so im stuck with using only 12 letters! So my mate Jennifer Jordison is cut to Jennifer Jor! Cack!

Can anyone help me get any more letters on the name line? Or is there an app which can give me more letters to input someones name?

Gotta say that 12 letters for the first&last names is cr@p.

When i look at my contact names in the phone list i can only input 12 letters for people's names. I dont get the option to put in first and last names so im stuck with using only 12 letters!
You're saving the contacts on the SIM card which can only store name and number of a contact (size varies for SIM but is usually 13-16 characters), which is fine if you want to keep a basic copy of numbers to travel from phone to phone on the SIM card. But if you want full names, numbers, addresses, email, etc., then you need to store the contacts as Phone or Google contacts which has a much larger capacity for storing information. If you store on the SIM first as a backup, you can then "import" those contacts into the Phone and then add to the contact info. If you do a factory reset, you will lose the contacts in the phone, but you can import them again from the SIM.

If you save them as Google contacts, you can sync them to/from your Gmail account and always have a full copy online as well as sync'd to your phone. If you do a factory reset, you can simply re-sync with Google and all your contacts are back on the phone. This is the best way to store contacts for convenience.

Personally, I always store my contacts on my SIM first for backup, then import them to Google so I have them on my phone, plus a full contact backup online as well. This way I get double backups, convenience, and portability. It's a bit more work initially than just creating Google contacts, but if anything happens to my Google account and my phone, I still have a basic name/number backup on my SIM card.
:)
PS - you do realize you posted the same question in here twice?
:(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones