Contact Renaming?Support

Last Updated:

1. Vane

Vane New Member This Topic's Starter

I just want to say that the Droid is an awesome phone, but it has one flaw that is really bugging me. This is definitely going to be hard to follow, so I'm sorry if I'm terrible at explaining it. I might try to use pictures if all else fails, but here's nothing...

So I've synced my contacts from facebook and it was all good, but I didn't like how my mom was Donna Tomaszewski in my contacts and I wanted to rename that contact "Mom". So I went to the contact, edit, and added a contact simply named "Mom" with no phone numbers or anything. Luckily it worked and now that contact is "Mom", with the picture from her facebook, and I can access her facebook. Now this is where my problem comes in. I wanted to do the exact same thing with my dad's contact. I followed the exact same step, and yet for some reason it won't change his name from Mark Fowler to "Dad". I've tryed everything. I've tryed going to the contact and adding like I did for my mom, I've tryed making a seperate contact and tryed joining "Dad" to Mark, and Mark to "Dad", I've even tryed turning my phone off, resyncing and nothing has worked. Now I understand this is not a huge deal, but it is a little annoying that it has worked before, but this time it refuses to.

I hope that made sense. If you can help at all, please do. I feel like there's something I'm missing that's going to make so much sense once I figure it out, but until then I need help.

Advertisement
  2. zeroG

zeroG Active Member

I want to bump this because I want to do the same thing. I don't like having peoples last names on there, plus I have nick names for people that I prefer to use. Sometimes they change sometimes they don't. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

3. CaptainRon

CaptainRon Well-Known Member

I guess I'm missing something. I just went to my mother's contact, deleted her last name and replaced her first name with Mom and it worked fine. Checked my Google contacts and it had already synced and she was now listed as "Mom."

Now I didn't do my dad since he's deceased. Maybe the problem is an "Oedipus" thing? :)

4. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

Same issue on Nexus One.

Very annoying. I dont want my contacts having there full names..grrrr

5. Vane

Vane New Member This Topic's Starter

Oh this is pretty weird. I can rename "Mark Fowler" certain things that are somewhat close, like "Matt Fowler" or "Mar Fowler". I'm not sure, maybe the name has to be close? But that wouldn't explain why I could change "Donna Tomaszewski" to Mom...

And I've just resorted to separating the the contact from his facebook account. I think I can manage without it, although that is pretty lame that I would even have to resort to that. This should definitely be fixed.

6. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

Sounds like an android problem since two different brand phones have that problem.

You all should write google's help desk so they are aware of the problem.

7. Relickus

Relickus New Member

Ok so I had same problem as you guys with my friends' stupid FB names in my contact list on my HTC HD2 (rooted android). Mine problem was that I had contact for ex. "Mom" in my google account (able to rename) and after syncing with FB there is new contact Anna "stupid nickname" Annova (not real :D) with picture and everything (unable to edit) but without phone number. Now, the solution is so easy that some of you may get angry or frustrated,so read further at your own risk :D.

So to have renameable fb contacts you have to do this:

Open the contact "Mom" (most important notice, and actually the whole solution trick is that you HAVE to open the Google contact firts, NOT THE STUPID FB CONTACT) open menu, select Join and pick the FB contact you want to join it to (in my case Anna Annova) and Confirm.
    After this procedure, you are able to rename the Fb contact, If you do it the other way (selecting FB contact first instead of google contact) it WON'T work.

Hope this will help, please spread this solution through other forums so it can help other people too.

Have a nice day! Relickus