contact ringtone

Last Updated:

1. bkeaver

bkeaver Member This Topic's Starter

does anyone know how to set custom contact ringtones on the Captivate? Thanks in advance for the assist.

Advertisement
  2. Reggie3

Reggie3 Well-Known Member

I want to know the answer to this too. I have read all the info doing a google search but when we hit menu on the individual contacts no option shows up to allow a ringtone for that person. I have changed my ringtone for the phone and imported ringtones from my windows phone but not all formats will work as ringtones. They will all play when clicked on individually but will not show up on the list - not sure what type is the correct one

3. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

Good question I would like to know this as well. I had this set up on my iPhone so I knew exactly who was calling. Was hoping this was available on our Cap as well

4. maverick999

maverick999 Active Member

Same here. I tried using Ringdroid, but my default ringtone still overrides it. Why do the manufacturers insist on putting their crap on top of the already polished Android UI? Makes me so mad.

5. pbpatel1981

pbpatel1981 Member

you can sync ringtone from WMP to your captivate.

6. Reggie3

Yes but that does not let one assign individual ringtones to contacts.

7. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Page 59 of the User Manual.

8. worsemorebad

worsemorebad New Member

I dont think you can assign ringtones to individuals if you are syncing from gmail, facebook, or twitter.

If I create a contact on the phone itself, I can assign ringtones...
    this may be the only way to do it

9. stephlu2k

stephlu2k Well-Known Member

you can go to contacts-->menu-->more-->import/export-->copy to SD card. select yes when the screen gives you a file name. then you need to import this file from SD card. All your contacts will be on the phone (in addition to facebook, google....). Then go to the individual contact, select the phone memory tab, there you will be able to set the contact ringtone. Hope this helps! Took me many hours and a call to Samsung to figure this out!

10. Reggie3

I just created a new contact with the same name (did not have to have a phone number or anything) and entered in the ringtone and saved - it linked to the gmail account

11. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

I also noticed when I went to create a new contact, I was able to select a ringtone for that person..

12. KappaG9

KappaG9 Well-Known Member

I have a problem with the ringtones. The ones i made and the ones that come on the phone start out quite for 3 or 4 seconds when someone calls then go up to normal volume... they were working fine a few days ago. Anyone else have this problem?

13. whsbuss

whsbuss Member

Doesn't this create duplicates on google? Do you have to remove all your contacts first? This is crazy.

14. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

Google has the really quick "find duplicates" feature that merges everything nice and neat.

15. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

All of my ringtones do this. They start out quite and then get louder.. I HATE IT.. I had an LG Vu that did the same thing, but you had the option to turn that off with it.

16. KappaG9

Wait so its supposed to be like that?

17. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

yeah I think so

18. KappaG9

thats stupid

19. stephlu2k

stephlu2k Well-Known Member

no, this doesn't get saved to google....just in the phone memory....so for a specific contact, i may have 3 accts linked together (google, facebook, and phone). BTW, you need to actually link google and facebook by using the menu button while in the contact, but the link to the phone is done automatically

20. maverick999

maverick999 Active Member

If a Vanilla Android ROM is ported to the Captivate, do you think this issue will be resolved? In other words, does the regular Android Contacts app allow this?

21. Kyu

Kyu New Member

I had the same problem too but then figured it out. It's actually quite simple....

Go to contacts and then select an individual. Select menu and then click edit. At the top of the screen you should see "Google" or "Phone" (for me anyway since I'm linked with my gmail contact list) and select Phone. You can then scroll down a little until you get to Ringtone where you can pick and choose.

p1gnone likes this.
  22. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

As an aside, for the people unhappy with the "ringtone that starts out soft and gets louder" ... that's unfortunately par for the course with Samsung. Every Samsung device that I've had (or read about) seems to have it, and there doesn't seem to be an way to disable it (or otherwise get your ringtones to play as they are).

Also - ringdroid will let you assign ringtones you've created as you're saving them.

23. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

I don't have choices of Google or Phone - I only see Google.

I think you need linked contacts in both places (Google and Phone) in order to do this; so you would have to export your contacts to SD Card and reimport onto phone as previously mentioned.

24. Terry S

Terry S Well-Known Member

Contacts need to be saved to your phone not your SIM card to assign contact ringtones.

25. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

Also to assign groups.

I wish I could understand why Samsung took the whole google group sync thing away.... makes no sense that they want all this to be setup on the phone. Maybe to force the use of AT&T backup.

Sorry to sidetrack.