• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contact Sync Help

android604

Nov 26, 2009
so i exported all my contacts through the app (exportcontact) to an CSV file, i saved them to my PC, then i uploaded them to my Gmail account.. everything went smooth and all my contacts showed up on my Gmail so i went ahead and deleted all my contacts on the phone..but now i cant seem to figure out how to get the contacts back on the phone... ive tried exporting file from Gmail and saved it, then tried to put it back onto my SD but i wont let me.(error msg, cant write onto disk~) can someone please help me? i need to take my phone to telus and have the stupid crackling speaker replaced. :mad:

Your google contacts should auto-synch unless you've changed the settings.

going to the "Data Synchronization" option in the settings menu, then selecting "Google" from the 1st page, and checking "Contacts" is ticked. then hit "menu" again and select the "Sync Now" option.

If they don't sync, you either haven't uploaded the contacts into google correctly, which is why the phone is rejecting them, or have bigger problems - make sure when you created the CSV there was nothing in the "notes" section for any of the contacts as that caused problems when I first tried to do this.

Also, appreciate it's a big issue for you, but you really haven't given people a lot of time to answer your query - it's a forum not chat room - answers don't always come in real time.

Hope the above helps you out though.

Upvote 0
okay. i tried this and its reading a msg "sync is currently experiancing problems. it will be back shortley"? i did make sure i deleted all the notes in excel

ive also been getting a msg in my notification bar "to many contacts deletes"

im sorry for causing a ruckus but i thought this was something i could handle.. i need to be at a customers house in an hour.....

Upvote 0
Only other thing I can suggest is to try exporting the CSV as a .txt as opposed to a .xls?

then import it into Google on the PC, turn the phone off/on and see what happens - again, I had similiar problems when first synching from Google to phone and that's how I solved it - past that I'm out of ideas - searching across all the forums as opposed to just the Hero one might yield some other results if that doesn't work though?

Upvote 0

hello. almost did exactly what you did. but I told gmail to overwrite all contacts currently on phone during the sync. then I went to gmail & paired up the dupes that happen with this wierd sync system e.g. I just changed from WM to android on the hero 9 days ago.
it if helps, & it's painful, I just went into gmail tonight and updated my gmail contacts individually rather than another CSV. elminated 39 that were dupes or don't need that my outlook still has. hero picked up the updates within minutes; i confirmed by searching a contact with the updated phone #s.
IMHO, if you have patience, a hard reset to get it all 'right' 1x.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones