Contact sync with Gmail

Last Updated:

1. diodorus

diodorus Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone!

I am getting crazy with this...

I have all "my contacts" on the Hero as google contacts. I set hero to sync (only) "my contacts" with my gmail contacts.

1. If i create a google contact on the hero, should it show up in my gmail contacts? If so, how long after it is created? It looks like some appears, some don't.

2. the contacts for some of my friends DO contain an email address: however, it will show "there is no mail" in the messages section of the people app, even though I have (recent) emails from them. why??

thanks for any info about this... :confused: :confused: :confused:
    diodorus

Advertisement
  2. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

@diodorus - Welcome to the forums. Remember, many times your questions may have already been answered elsewhere, so try a search first before posting.

Re. 1. read this thread, should help. http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/9687-syncing-contacts-general-discussion.html And remember that only contacts marked as "Google" will sync with your google account.

I'm not entirely sure about the Hero (with Sense UI) but you also need to make sure that in your settings you have Background Data and Auto Syncing on. Of course this will use up your battery if you leave it on all the time. I prefer to leave it off and sync manually whenever I add new contacts.

2. I'm not sure about this since I don't have the "People App" on my HTC Magic. Maybe some else can help with this.

3. diodorus

Hi!

Thanks for the reply, but...

1. I did search, and found nothing (inluding that thread)
    2. As I wrote before, all my contacts on the Hero are Google contacts
    3. Background Data and Syncing is on

Any other idea?

Thanks again,
    diodorus

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

"My Contacts" is a subset of your Gmail contacts. If you wish to have your entire contact list sync'd with the handset, then you need to select "All contacts" in People - Groups - Menu - Sync groups.

5. diodorus

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, sorry about that... It's the other way around: I create a contact on the Hero (a google-type contact, under "my contacts"), and that won't always show up in my gmail.

moreover, although such google contact has an associated email address in the email field, the message "there is no mail" is displayed (on the hero) in the "mail" section of the people app, even though I have (recent) emails from that contact...