Contact sync with google

Last Updated:

1. lsutiger

lsutiger Active Member This Topic's Starter

Tell me if I am wrong or if I have a problem with my phone.
    I just bought an HTC Hero. When I add a contact on the phone as a contact of Google, it has not been updating my Google contacts. But when I add a contact to Google, it updates my phone.

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Advertisement
  2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I think it takes a little while. When I got my Hero, I had all my contacts transfered from my old phone by the Sprint store. Now, they are all in my Google acct on my computer. I didn't notice how long it took. BTW, I set up a brand new Gmail acct for the phone, so there were no contacts in it before.

3. lsutiger

Thanx for the quick reply!

I updated this contact several hours ago, but just noted something. I am POSITIVE I added the name, but when I just checked on my phone, the name was not there. I just added the name again.

When you add a contact to google from a call, I get a message that some information will be depricated.

I guess this is what the message means??? Thats not a good thing in my eyes.

4. alanzer

alanzer Well-Known Member

I had issues with the contacts Sprint transferred over to my phone when I got it at the store. I actually had to enter all of them in by hand after resetting the phone. Then everything backed up to Google without a problem. It was instant too, I had my gmail open on the computer and refreshed the page and all of a sudden had 150 new contacts.

5. lsutiger

I let the phone sit overnight and the contact edits updated. But I did run into a problem of having contacts being duplicated when I added new contacts in Gmail, and they were dupicated in gmail contacts and on the phone...???
    I deleted in gmail and it solved the problem, but why did this happen?

6. alanzer

alanzer Well-Known Member

I had a few duplicated too... I am not sure why, but I just went into gmail and deleted the duplicated ones.

I had to do a hard reset for another issue I had, and it loaded everything up without any extras when I synced it again.

7. regression

regression Well-Known Member

If the sync is taking too long for you, you can force it to sync by going to Settings --> Data synchronization --> Google --> hit menu and Sync now.

BTW, nice to see another LSU Tiger on here!