Contact syncing on the Desire

Last Updated:

1. STROBE

STROBE Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Just getting started with my HTC Desire which works nicely with my gmail account. However the contact syncing is giving me a bit of a headache.

I had my contacts set up, but the birthdays kept disappearing. I logged into Google Mail/contacts on the computer, and added the birthdays there with the intention of making them show up on the phone calendar.

Now going back to the phone, the contacts who I added birthdays to have lost some of their phone numbers!! The phone numbers aren't present when I access the contact on the computer, so presumably saving the contact with the birthday and no numbers has wiped the numbers on the phone. But why didn't the phone update my Google contacts with the phone numbers? I'm having to update everything logged in to Google contacts, which renders the phone a very expensive piece of kit which I wouldn't be able to add any phone numbers to directly, because they'll disappear as soon as I edit the contact via a Google website!

Anyone know how i can correct this and what is going wrong?

Fortunately the numbers I lost were family so I know half of them anyway and can easily retrieve the others, but I'd be a lot more pissed off if they were some less well known numbers.

TIA. :)

Advertisement
  2. STROBE

I think I've worked out what's happening but I'm not confident that it won't happen again.

When I first got the phone, it automatically pulled in my gmail and facebook contacts and paired them up. In addition, my gmail contacts (having never really used them) were a bit messy with duplicate entries for home/work email addresses etc.

When updating the contact on the phone, it wasn't syncing those updates back to Google. Un-coupling the facebook accounts and tidying up the Gmail contacts seems to have fixed it, and now after re-linking facebook and Google contacts, it seems to sync correctly from the phone. Phew!

3. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

I have decided against any kind of Facebook syncing until the issues are all sorted out. It just seemed more hassle than it was worth.

With regards to the birthdays, I don't seem to be able to get mine to show up on a calendar if I add them via People on the phone or via the contacts in GMail.

4. STROBE

I have birthdays showing on my calendar, but only those of my Google contacts.

In order to get them to show I had to log into Google Calendar, add a custom calendar, choose "other" and then select to show the birthdays & anniversaries of your google contacts. Then when your phone syncs they will all appear in the google calendar on your phone.

Unfortunately I can't see any way of hooking up non-Google contacts so that anniversaries and birthdays will show in the phone calendar - which is something of an oversight, I feel.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

ebobirthday

6. el_caro

el_caro Active Member

I have a silly question as new to this syncing stuff.
    I have a few contacts in gmail which I have always accessed from a pc wherever i am. On my HTC Desire I have entered a more up to date list of contacts. What happens when I sync my phone contacts to gmail ? Does the previous list on the gmail site overwrite the new ones on the mobile phone or does the list on the phone get sent to the gmail site so i can see them from a pc?