Contacts and Google Question

Last Updated:

1. iatrj

iatrj Member This Topic's Starter

When I look at my contacts list most of the contacts say google next to them but some say just phone? So what does that mean? are they not syncing to google? the reason I ask is because everytime I send a text to the contacts that say phone I get the "!" sometimes they get the text but I don't know if they actually get it. thanks

Advertisement
  2. REXNFX04

REXNFX04 New Member

I have the same issue, how do I get them to be phone and google contacts?

3. erniebernie

erniebernie Member

The Google contacts will sync with Gmail account, phone contacts will not. I had to manually create contacts in Gmail (from PC) and merge them with MergeContacts app from Market. MergeContacts only copy phone numbers though, so it's quite a hassle.

Don't know any other way around this, anyone with different approach please let us know..

4. lopezpm

lopezpm Well-Known Member

The contacts you made in Gmail did sync with the phone though right? Why did you need to merge?

5. erniebernie

erniebernie Member

I wanted to move all my phone contacs to Google. That way I'll keep all contacts when:

- my Hero gets an upgrade (end of April?)
    - I root the phone
    - I buy a new Android device (what else?)
    - I need to factory reset

My Hero needs repairs, so last point is imminent in my case. The two first also coming up shortly that.

In all four cases you end up with a cleaned out device. If all contacts are stored in Gmail you just need to log in once and you're done.

6. lopezpm

lopezpm Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks. I'm looking to get a Hero withing a couple of days. That's where I have all my contacts now, because of the same reason. I have WebOS now and when switching to another WebOS device or when Resetting it all I have to do is sign in and it syncs all my contacts, calendar appts, and emails.