• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

contacts app - activities menu

sapv

Jul 19, 2010
when I open contacts app, i see four options at the top : contacts, groups, history and activities. I have successfully linked my facebook contacts and calendar through SNS setting option (automatically syncs every 1 hour). When i click on the activities menu at the top, I could see all facebook updates in there. Works like a charm. Just one question. Select a particular contact (who also has a facebook account) from the contacts list. You will see four options again: Info, History, Acitivities and Media. When i click on Info i see all the contact information like phone number, email address, Linked contacts, and facebook link under web address. When i click on History, I see all the calls made and received to and from this contact. When i click Acitivities, I just see Link Contact Option and don't see anything else eventhough i have linked my facebook through SNS setting. Also, the media is empty and how do i add one? If anyone knows about this can you please respond. Thanks

HELP HELP HELP

when I open contacts app, i see four options at the top : contacts, groups, history and activities. I have successfully linked my facebook contacts and calendar through SNS setting option (automatically syncs every 1 hour). When i click on the activities menu at the top, I could see all facebook updates in there. Works like a charm. Just one question. Select a particular contact (who also has a facebook account) from the contacts list. You will see four options again: Info, History, Acitivities and Media. When i click on Info i see all the contact information like phone number, email address, Linked contacts, and facebook link under web address. When i click on History, I see all the calls made and received to and from this contact. When i click Acitivities, I just see Link Contact Option and don't see anything else eventhough i have linked my facebook through SNS setting. Also, the media is empty and how do i add one? If anyone knows about this can you please respond. Thanks

HELP HELP HELP

No help extended :) Come on forum please help me with this..i may be missing something that is too obvious to figure out..but hey it does not hurt to help a dumbo!!

Upvote 0
If your contact has no recent News Feed updates then it'll be empty

Similarly, "Media" is simply all of that person's pic albums and stuff so if they have it set to private or don't have any then you won't see anything

I see stuff on both Activities and Media for individual contacts (most of them ... the ones that are missing it fall under the categories I described above)

Just make sure the SNS sync is actually working

Reactions: sapv
Upvote 0
If your contact has no recent News Feed updates then it'll be empty

Similarly, "Media" is simply all of that person's pic albums and stuff so if they have it set to private or don't have any then you won't see anything

I see stuff on both Activities and Media for individual contacts (most of them ... the ones that are missing it fall under the categories I described above)

Just make sure the SNS sync is actually working

Thanks a lot for the reply. I see contents under Activities on the main screen (the screen i get when i open contacts app). It also gets updated every one hour based on the refresh cycle i have chosen. That means my SNS is working right? When i choose individual contacts i don't see any. I see your point. If the contacts did not post anything on facebook, i will not see anything under their name. However, I see some of my contacts have posted stuff on their facebook (and did not have privacy filters blocking me :). I checked with one at least to make sure of that) but i don't see that under activities under their name. I am sure it has got something to do with linking the contact. But, can you please let me know how do i do proper linking? When i click link the contact, it takes me to the contact page where i see all other contacts except the person i have chosen). I am sure i am missing something very obvious. I have a reputation of missing obvious things. Please help.

Upvote 0
Maybe no one is responding because they don't have the issue. When I go into a linked contact I see all of their postings since I linked them.

I am sure i am missing something very obvious. I have a reputation of missing obvious things. I admit that and i appreciate if you provide an answer to help a dumb like me rather than pointing out why others are not responding. I see some of my contacts have posted stuff on their facebook (and did not have privacy filters blocking me :). I checked with one at least to make sure of that) but i don't see that under activities under their name. I am sure it has got something to do with linking the contact. But, can you please let me know how do i do proper linking? When i click link the contact, it takes me to the contact page where i see all other contacts except the person i have chosen). . Thanks

Upvote 0
Do you see a little facebook icon on the contact? It sounds like it's a sync problem.

Link is for when you have duplicate contacts that you want to unify ... like if you had a friend with a facebook contact and a gmail contact that had different names and got synced/imported as seperate contacts and you wanted to merge them.

Upvote 0
Do you see a little facebook icon on the contact? It sounds like it's a sync problem.

I don't see facebook icon on the contact. How do i do this? I have facebook background auto sync on. I think it is a cool feature of this phone and i would like to know how to get this done. I have the facebook application installed (the one i donwloaded from the market) too. Do i need to logout and restart the process again? The SNS setting where i sync contacts and calendar is through the facebook application that came with the phone. Please help. I thank you for taking time to help me

Upvote 0
That means that none of your facebook contacts have actually been imported. (Otherwise, you'd be seeing their fb pics as their contact pics as well). I (along with a lot of other people) was having this problem before, as well -- FB sync was just broken across all devices. It's since been fixed, I think, though.

Pick a contact that you know for sure you are friends with on facebook. Tap on him/her, then press menu and hit "Get Friends". Choose facebook, select ALL, and hit okay. Wait for it to import everyone.

It should automatically link/merge any contacts w/ the same names or emails, etc. as your existing contacts. You may have to go through and sort out duplicates that it has failed to import.

And yeah, make sure you have SNS sync on, NOT the sync using the official fb app.

Upvote 0
that means that none of your facebook contacts have actually been imported. (otherwise, you'd be seeing their fb pics as their contact pics as well). I (along with a lot of other people) was having this problem before, as well -- fb sync was just broken across all devices. It's since been fixed, i think, though.

Pick a contact that you know for sure you are friends with on facebook. Tap on him/her, then press menu and hit "get friends". Choose facebook, select all, and hit okay. Wait for it to import everyone.

It should automatically link/merge any contacts w/ the same names or emails, etc. As your existing contacts. You may have to go through and sort out duplicates that it has failed to import.

And yeah, make sure you have sns sync on, not the sync using the official fb app.

wow..wow...thanks a lot. I can't thank you enough. It worked. Just a small change with what you adviced me. When i hit the contact, i don't get the "get friends" option. I had to open the contacts app and hit menu. It showed "get friends" option. From there i chose facebook. Now, i see facebook icon next to them and also i see all their posts and media. It works like a charm. Without you i would not have figured this out. Thank you very very much.

Upvote 0
That means that none of your facebook contacts have actually been imported. (Otherwise, you'd be seeing their fb pics as their contact pics as well). I (along with a lot of other people) was having this problem before, as well -- FB sync was just broken across all devices. It's since been fixed, I think, though.

Pick a contact that you know for sure you are friends with on facebook. Tap on him/her, then press menu and hit "Get Friends". Choose facebook, select ALL, and hit okay. Wait for it to import everyone.

It should automatically link/merge any contacts w/ the same names or emails, etc. as your existing contacts. You may have to go through and sort out duplicates that it has failed to import.

And yeah, make sure you have SNS sync on, NOT the sync using the official fb app.

Just one more request: please stay with this forum. :)

Upvote 0
Oh yeah my bad. For future reference/other people: it's actually contact->menu->link->get friends but sapv's way works as well (when the sync wasn't working for most people, it didn't work that way but now it does and that way is simpler)

Edit: no probs, glad I could help :) I'll be sticking around since I'm sticking with my Captivate, haha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones