Contacts Automatically Added?Support

Last Updated:

1. phenixdragon

phenixdragon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It looks like when ever I email someone via Gmail it adds them to my contacts. From reading around, it appears that there isn't a way to stop this unless you change your contacts not to sync with any of the Gmail groups. But if I do that, then none of my contacts sync with Gmail. Is there a way to stop Gmail from adding contacts when replying to emails?

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You can tell the phone to only display contacts in a certain folder, I have one in Google Contacts called 'Phone Contacts' for this very reason.

The downside of that is the system is stupid and when I add a new contact on the phone it doesn't get displayed because it defaults it to the 'All Contacts' folder despite me only having 'Phone Contacts' ticked in the N1 so I have to move it via web.

3. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I hate that it asks me which of my five g-mail accounts do I want to add the contact to. I wish there was some way to just use the account I set up when I first got the phone.

For this being a Google phone I think they need to add some more options for customization of this kind of behavior, both the auto-add contacts and the persistent "which one of your accounts do you want to add the contact to"

:(

4. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member

I have never experienced this behavior. In Gmail I have "My Contacts", "Friends", "Family", "Co-Workers" and "Starred in Android".... Then there is "All contacts."

The only items in "My contacts" are the ones I have added... either from my phone or manually at Gmail.com.

On your phone, go into your Contacts app and then hit the "menu" key go into "Display options." Make sure that only "My Contacts" is checked.

5. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I couldn't stand the extra little popup window. I removed all of the gmail accounts I had on the phone except for the one I set up when I first got it.

If anyone knows how to set one account as a default for adding/managing contacts please let me know.

:(

Oh, and I noticed in Display options there is a "display only contacts with phone numbers" option. this might help the OP problem.

6. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

I can confirm this approach works well but I had to do abig cleanup exercise of "My Contacts" on gmail on my desktop to clear out all those people I used to mail. Now my contacts on the phone are neat but I can also add on the handset and they appear straight away, something that I couldn't do when only displaying Friends and Family groups.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

7. phenixdragon

phenixdragon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I had just My Contacts selected, which was by default, and it was showing everyone I replied to. But I decided to add 'Phone Contacts' and added everyone in there. I just have to remember to add people to that group when I want to add someone. And then go through and do some cleanup on deleting people who I replied to that show up in all contacts, but at least they aren't on my phone now.