• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts bloated and keeps crashing

kmn5

Jun 11, 2012
So I just upgraded to ICS and the system re-synced with my gmail account again, even tough it's not enabled :mad:
Which for me is bad, cause every time it syncs. it doubles up on every contact,
So for example I would have 6 entries for "John Smith"
I have over 1,000 contacts, and more than 1/2 are just people I had a email exchange with and are NOT friend I contact
It's my only gripe about google; why does it add everyone I've ever had a email exchange with!?!?!
So my contact list is way overbloated with useless contacts and duped contacts.

So I tried to delete them all and restore from a backup, which turned out to be a mistake, cause now the contacts keeps locking up and crashing when I try to merge the duped entries, or try to delete more than one at a time

ugh....
anyone have any suggestion on what to do?

Contacts also crashes every time if I try to delete more than one entry at a time or try to join an entry to another.
Sometimes it will crash even if I try to delete a single entry

Not only does the contacts crash, and hang for a solid 2 mins,
but right afterwards I also see this message
"Twlauncher is not responding" and it's in a hung state for another solid 2 mins before it lets me click "OK"

I cant be standing around waiting 4 mins everytime I go in and out of contacts :(
I even retried the ICS reflash through Odin, but it did not reinstall the contacts program and it still happens

Upvote 0
OK, I think I got it working.
I turned off all syncing except to Whatpps, Skype, and one spare gmail account I have (which only contained an outdated and partial list of my contacts) and retyped in the rest of my contacts manually, and the contacts program has not crashed yet.

So it seems the culprit is either my facebook contacts or my main gmail contact list, maybe something in there is corrupt, or they conflict with each other in some way :mad::thinking:.

just wasted 3 hrs of my life :mad::(:banghead:

anyways I can now join contacts, delete single and multiple contacts and no crashes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones