Contacts, calendars and emailSupport

Last Updated:

1. Clariman

Clariman Member This Topic's Starter

Forgive me, this may end up being a rather broad question but here goes.

I have just taken delivery of a HTC Legend and I would like to synch contacts, email and calendar with my PC (in that order of importance). My PC is running Vista with Outlook Express as its email client. My email is forwarded from a domain name that I own to the POP3 email address provided by my ISP.

I think my options appear to be:

1. Move everything to Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar and Contacts) and have that synch with my phone. This looks very simple but I don't like the idea of all my key data being managed by Google. Also, I would like to be able to get all my info (from PC or phone) when offline. Finally, also concerned whether the tie up to online service would eat up my 500GB per month data allowance on the phone.

2. Have Outlook Express Windows Contacts synchronise with the Legend's address book. Set up POP3 email on my phone direct to ISP. And just forget about having a calendar on the PC.

3. Buy Outlook and, as option 2, but also with the Outlook Calendar synch with the Legend too.

4. Find a simple calendar and contacts app that had a Windows component and a phone componenet and synched with each other. A bit like my old Palm Pilot provided its own PIM function on the PC if you didn't want to synch with anything else.

Any ideas or comments would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    Clariman

Advertisement
  2. Clariman

No answer to my questions :( Never mind.

For the benefit of others who are looking into this, here is the latest information that I have found.

Email - I have set up the Legend to access my 4 x POP3 email boxes successfully. By default it leaves the mail on the server too, so my PC can remain as my main email platform. Excellent.

Regarding calendar and contacts synchronisation (see options in my original post), I decided I would install a full copy of Outlook on my PC and use that. However, research shows that the HTC Legend Sync program does not yet support MS Outlook 2010. I then decided to buy a copy of Outlook 2007 but that version is not available from any retailer (unless anyone can tell me differently).

I have called HTC and they tell me that the new HTC Synch program which supports Outlook 2010 will be out "soon" but they couldn't give a specific date.

Has anyone got sync working with Outlook 2010 on Windows Vista 32-bit with a Legend phone?

Or can anyone tell me where I can buy Outlook 2007?

Thanks
    Clariman

3. Clariman

Wow I am impressed with HTC customer service! I rang earlier today to be told that the next release of HTC sync for the Legend would support Outlook 10. The customer service person called me back just now to say that it has been released today. If anyone wants it, you can find it here Application - HTC Sync?for Android 2.1 or above

4. Dog_chops

Dog_chops Well-Known Member

It is very strange, but I am using Outlook 2007, and all synchronised sweetly for months. Now all I can synchronise is my contacts. The calendar options has vanished on HTC sync. Very weird.

5. hawkeye13

hawkeye13 New Member

I wish to synchronise my legend with my PC (Windows 7 and Office 2010) I have upgraded to HTC Sync version 3.0. 5481. The calendar works but my contact list, 2000 strong, gets jumbled. contacts may be listed by their first names or last n names and sometimes cannot be found at all. I have talked to HTC who admit the problem.

I got involved with and bought software called Sync2. It was recommended in Smartphone Essentials. I tried to make this work but it is quite sophisticated and you have t to run your Outlook information via Google