contacts don't really synchronizeSupport

Last Updated:

1. einekoe

einekoe New Member This Topic's Starter

I read that you just log in to google (gmail) and Android automatically synchronizes contacts. I imported some new contacts into my google contacts list, into one group "General", and after logging in i don't see them showing up on my phone. I went into menu and hit the sync manually, I see the icon turning, but still no new contacts on my phone. any idea what's up with that?

Advertisement
  2. zcast

zcast Member

Not quite sure about importing them into a group. All my contacts I imported from my Mac Address Book into my google contacts and they immediately showed up on the device.

Make sure all these things are met:

- Your GMAIL account you are using is also setup on the device in your GMAIL mail APP

- On the phone, goto Settings>>Accounts & sync and select the gmail account you are using for your contacts. Make sure Sync Contacts is ON.

- Also, make sure you setup the GMAIL account under the GMAIL app and not the default EMAIL app in the phone. The GMAIL app uses Google Sync (like exchange) and pushes your info to the phone while the EMAIL program pulls it from POP/IMAP.

Let me know if that helps.

-Z

3. einekoe

yes its in my gmail account, and when it syncs the new contacts dont show up. I got the phone yesterday of course, and the guy in the store set up the gmail acct, obviously it sync'd that time, but while it appears to sync now, the arrow icon turns, no new contacts actually show up.

4. einekoe

i deleted all my contacts from google and imported them again. This deleted all my contacts from android, not sure why, then I synched again and now they're back, but still missing the 2 contacts I had been watching to see if they showed up. There's now 625 contacts in my phone vs 677 in google contacts. I have no idea which ones are missing, other than the 2 I'd been watching for.

5. cww256

cww256 New Member

Have you checked contact display options?

Contacts > Menu Button > Display Options

Here you can choose to display only contacts with phone numbers, and at the bottom should be a drop down menu with your gmail account info that has many more display options.

UPDATE
    It turns out I was having a problem synching both ways after all. I was able to fix it.
    HERE is a link (trying to keep all the info related to this problem centralized to one thread).

6. drumtrucker

drumtrucker Well-Known Member

One possibility is that the 2 missing ones are doubled up under a single entry. This happened to me and they were not even duplicates of same person. Going to be fun digging through 625 to find that, yikes. I only had 100+.

carolines likes this.
  7. JoeM845

JoeM845 New Member

I have a similar problem, but with 1725 contacts in gmail and only 1637 on the Droid. My guess is that the gmail sync is trying to be "helpful" and merging contacts -- contacts that should remain separate. It is hard to tell because the Droid Contact application and the gmail sync seem to be undocumented at anything beyond a trivial level. If there is documentation it is well hidden. This thing is not a business tool.

Anyone know where there any meaningful documentation? Anyone know how to turn the "helpful" merge off? Anyone know if something else is really going wrong?

8. droidx

droidx Well-Known Member

i have a question, i just bought my droid yesterday, and before i took my eris in i wrote down all the apps i had, but the one i need now i forgot to write down, and i cant remember the name of it, its a program that uses gps to find your location and things around you, like you click bars and it shows you whats around, and it even lets you pick driving directions there.

is there anyway i can find out the name, maybe by looking through what i downloaded, the verizion store has my phone but its 30miles away and i dont wanna drive there to look at it.

9. carolines

carolines New Member

Has anyone found the answer to this problem? I'm having the same troubles now.

10. fat

fat New Member

I had the same problem with my droid x. The contacts that were already in the phone didn't sync'd to my gmail account. Every new contact/Calendar/mail would sync w/out a problem.

I exported all my contacts from the phone to my SDCard,
    >Contacts>>Menu Key>>More Settings>>Import/Export
    This will export your contacts to your SDCard on you phone.

Then connect your phone to your PC and look for a file, usually named similar to: 0001.vcf

Open your gmail on your web browser and "Import" the 0001.vcf file to your contacts. Hope it helps...

11. tduffy47

tduffy47 New Member

It used to work and now it doesnt. If I reinstall the mobile app sync software it works again on NEW entries, but not the OLD entries.

Set up a new gmail account on computer and phone and try it...

So, now that I have a new preferred gmail account to sync with, I want to "force" or command the Atrix to sync with the new google account and upload my ATRIX contacts to my Gmail account ( cloud storage).

Both the Phone Store guy and Moto Blur support could not do it. Mot blur concluded that the Atrix was damaged and suggested that I get a replacement.

Does someone know the command or setting location to trigger an upload? I thought it would be automatic, but it is only automatic for the NEW contests, like the "test"one that I read about.