Contacts help pleaseSupport

Last Updated:

1. TMack

TMack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use Outlook/Exchange as my primary contact database, so I only wanted to sync my DX with Exchange for contacts. However, before I was able to get to my Google account settings on the X to tell it not to sync Google contacts - it had already synced them. Now, my contacts are a mess because of the damn "linked profiles", so practically every contact has some trash from my unmanaged Google contacts. Old email addresses, dupes, mislabled phone numbers (work, home, etc.) It's ugly and frustrating, since I keep my Exchange contacts perfectly edited and managed.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to delete the Google contacts from my DX other than doing it one at a time. (Since I have over 1500 contacts, that would be a huge pain.) Is there any way I can purge these? I'm a power Gmail user, so I can't just delete the entire Google account. (Not sure that's possible anyway.)

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
  2. TMack

Nothin'?

3. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Well-Known Member

I could not leave a Chiefs fan hanging on this, so I have tried to think of several different ways to do this, but I could not think of anything to help. The best I could come up with was to export your contacts from gmail to a file. Then delete all your contacts on your gmail account. Factory reset your phone and reset up exchange and gmail. Once you have your gmail set not to sync your contacts you can import your file of contacts back in to your gmail account. However this may be more difficult that just cleaning up your phone book.

Sorry I tried.

4. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

Did you try gong into your Google account settings on the phone and unchecking the contacts? I think that should erase them.

5. lurambler

lurambler New Member

I don't see a way to do the same to un-sync twitter or facebook contacts if you have both those accounts. My contacts had always been my phone book, now it's all messed up as I didn't transfer properly from old blackberry. Still hoping for a way to import a contact (phone #s) list into my new Droid X, as I still do have them saved on corp. email server and can export to CSV or whatever is necessary.

6. TMack

As I said in my orinigal post, I unchecked that already but contacts were already synced because that's the default setting.

7. TMack

Thanks. That may be worth it. A tad clunky but it should work.

8. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

Oh, it always removed them for me when I unchecked it. Sorry about that