• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts help please

TMack

Aug 2, 2010
Kansas City
I use Outlook/Exchange as my primary contact database, so I only wanted to sync my DX with Exchange for contacts. However, before I was able to get to my Google account settings on the X to tell it not to sync Google contacts - it had already synced them. Now, my contacts are a mess because of the damn "linked profiles", so practically every contact has some trash from my unmanaged Google contacts. Old email addresses, dupes, mislabled phone numbers (work, home, etc.) It's ugly and frustrating, since I keep my Exchange contacts perfectly edited and managed.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to delete the Google contacts from my DX other than doing it one at a time. (Since I have over 1500 contacts, that would be a huge pain.) Is there any way I can purge these? I'm a power Gmail user, so I can't just delete the entire Google account. (Not sure that's possible anyway.)

Thanks for the help.

I could not leave a Chiefs fan hanging on this, so I have tried to think of several different ways to do this, but I could not think of anything to help. The best I could come up with was to export your contacts from gmail to a file. Then delete all your contacts on your gmail account. Factory reset your phone and reset up exchange and gmail. Once you have your gmail set not to sync your contacts you can import your file of contacts back in to your gmail account. However this may be more difficult that just cleaning up your phone book.

Sorry I tried.

Upvote 0
I don't see a way to do the same to un-sync twitter or facebook contacts if you have both those accounts. My contacts had always been my phone book, now it's all messed up as I didn't transfer properly from old blackberry. Still hoping for a way to import a contact (phone #s) list into my new Droid X, as I still do have them saved on corp. email server and can export to CSV or whatever is necessary.

Upvote 0
I could not leave a Chiefs fan hanging on this, so I have tried to think of several different ways to do this, but I could not think of anything to help. The best I could come up with was to export your contacts from gmail to a file. Then delete all your contacts on your gmail account. Factory reset your phone and reset up exchange and gmail. Once you have your gmail set not to sync your contacts you can import your file of contacts back in to your gmail account. However this may be more difficult that just cleaning up your phone book.

Sorry I tried.

Thanks. That may be worth it. A tad clunky but it should work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones