Contacts Hidden - Droid(Android) won't display all contacts from Gmail / GoogleSupport

Last Updated:

1. roseb

roseb New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Droid, but according to Motorola Level 3 Tech Support, this is a problem with the Android operating system. Here is how the bug works, as far as I understand it:

BTW, I have already used the excellant feature on Google to Find Duplicate Contacts and Merge them. That feature, on the Gmail web site, finds all the Contacts with the same name, and at your option, merges *all* the data into one Contact, so no data is lost.

The problem is on the phone, in my case on the Droid. On the Droid (apparently all Android phones?), it finds all records which have a common tel number and arbitrarily will only display one of them. (No one can accurately tell me which one it chooses to display BTW.) The ones which are hidden from display do not show up in any searches.

Try this: Create two Contacts, say for Joe and Mary, with the same work tel for both, but give them each a different mobile tel. (Now that's a realistic example, right?) Be sure to create the contacts in Gmail, not on the Droid -- it might make a difference. (All of my contacts were initially on Gmail and then synced onto the Droid -- again a realistic example since the Droid is a newer product than Gmail.)

Now, go to the Droid and try to search for Joe. Now, try to search for Mary. I believe you will find one but not the other. Big problem!

Here's another weirdness -- whichever one is missing, now go to Gmail, and look up the mobile tel for the one which was hidden on the Droid. Now, manually dial the mobile tel on the Droid for the one which the Droid could not find when you searched. Surprise -- the name will pop up when it dials the number -- proving that the Contact is indeed on the Droid, but it is hidden.

Now, Motorola is calling this some kind of "merging" but I would call it instead "hiding" because the records are there and can be found individually by the Droid except when we (as users) are looking for them. Arghhh.

Help! I have over 3700 Contacts and over 300 of these records are hiding from view or searching. Major problem.

Help!!!!

Several questions:
    1) Is this problem limited to the Droid or does this problem exist on all smartphones which use the Android system?

2) Why haven't we heard about this before? This is a significant defect. I feel that it is a major scandal that the product was released with such a defect. I don't understand.

3) Can anyone confirm or identify that anyone is working on fixing this??? Who is the correct person or entity to speak with about this? Motorola says it's an Android problem and takes no responsibility. But who is responsible for Android? If it's open source, then who will fix this? I'm not an expert, so I am totally in the dark here, but I really need help. Surely I am not the only person with this problem.

Advertisement
    ken_ac likes this.
  2. mikepomeroy

mikepomeroy New Member

I was able to solve the problem you described by doing the following...
    on the droid, open contacts, then menu, then display options
    tap the arrow to the left of your google account and scroll to the bottom and check all other contacts.
    hope this works for you too.

3. roseb

roseb New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, but no, no -- I'm afraid that was the very first thing I tried. That does not solve it at all.

Kindly read my message very carefully. This specific thread relates solely to contact records which share a common telephone number. This causes only one of them to display on the phone, hiding the others from searches and look-ups.

Is anyone who can contact someone at Android reading this? Someone who can get this to someone in a responsible position who can do something about it. Is there a place to report bugs to Android?

4. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member

Some of my contacts are certainly in phone, but I cannot search and find them.....Help

5. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

holy crap. I found this thread when I was writing something not a detailed and you gave me more details.

I was trying to call my brothers cell. I have called him before on my droid and texted him. He is not in my contacts!

I goto my gmail account, I have 193 names there, including his, but on my phone I only have 183!

I did what you said, I dialed his number, and his name popped up!

Where are these contacts, and why aren't they syncing? If I do a search for his name on my phone, it does not show up either. This is a critical issue!

dhbuckley likes this.
  6. patorojo

patorojo New Member

I had the same problem with some of my gmail contacts of my android, but it doesn't seem to be solely due to repeated phone numbers... maybe is a different problem.

Anyway, I also noted that I didn't see the contacts when browsing for them, but they did appear when searching for them (using the magnifying glass button).

So, I went to my google account and noted that some of my missing contacts where not in "My contacts"... after moving them over there in my browser, they magically appeared in my phone!

It's weird though, because some of the contacts that are not in "My contacts" do appear in the phone.

7. patorojo

patorojo New Member

I had the same problem with some of my gmail contacts of my phone, but it doesn't seem to be solely due to repeated phone numbers... maybe is a different problem.

Anyway, I also noted that I didn't see the contacts when browsing for them, but they did appear when searching for them (using the magnifying glass button).

So, I went to my google account and noted that some of my missing contacts where not in "My contacts"... after moving them over there in my browser, they magically appeared in my phone!

It's weird though, because some of the contacts that are not in "My contacts" do appear.

8. lightal65

lightal65 New Member

go to contacts, settings, display, gmail contacts and check all the boxes.

9. StressedAndroidUser

StressedAndroidUser New Member

I found that the numbers have to be stored to your phone and not your sim card for it to find them.

10. surferbobs

surferbobs New Member

I had the same problem on my new Atrix. To solve this, open a contact that has the same info as another merged with it, ie Joe or Mary and at the bottom it says "linked profiles". If you go to the settings for this you can unlink the contacts and they will show up separately. I don't know if this works on all the Droid interfaces or just Motorola's.