Contacts icon/photo conflict - Phone vs FaceBook

Last Updated:

1. kumimajava

kumimajava New Member This Topic's Starter

i've just upgraded to the Desire & am liking many things in it, but this issue bugs me:

i've synced & linked the contacts in my 'people' app. in some cases, this involved linking the FaceBook profile of a person with a pre-exisitng phone number in my phone/sim card.

The problem is that the phone seems to default to the Facebook 'profile picture' as the icon/photo that shows up in my People app (for that contact), even if tell it not to.

I've tried downloading new pics, or taking a photo with the camera, and then manually setting this as the 'icon' for a certain person. This works for a while (a few hours?) and then within one day, the phone automatically re-sets this icon & replaces it with the Facebook profile pic. again.

has anyone else had similar problems? is there a workaround (other than de-linking the two profiles/contacts)?

any help would be much appreciated, since i can't seem to make any progress on my own.

Advertisement
  2. howtofixit

howtofixit Member

If I have understood the problem you are experiencing correctly, all you need to do is deactive the sync that is linking your contacts to Facebook, go into settings > accounts and sync and then remove the FB sync. This will clear the pictures that are syncing to your phonebook from FB and should then allow you to add whatever picture you want.

You'll still be able to view Facebook through the FB app on your phone.

3. kumimajava

kumimajava New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the tip - i've now changed the settings as you recommended & will see if this works.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I have a similar (but opposite problem). I want to use facebook pics but some of my contacts default back to the google Pic whilst some don't.

I poted a thread on here and no one knew the answer. I still haven't managed to stop it happening.

5. ffolliet

ffolliet Member

long press on the title bar for the person. this brings up the linked contacts with the options of chosing names, photos etc

6. SUroot

I think the OP knows that.

7. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

Yeah, i have the same problem, even if the people in the contacts are not syncd/linked to facebook, it still uses the facebook picture.

Manually set it to the picture on the phone, then a few hours later it will be back to facebook. I think the whole facebook sync thing is a bit crap. Had this problem and the +447 / 447 problems.

8. SUroot

I've finally decided to remove the google pics for some contacts. Now I can just use facebook ones.

9. Mr Sworld

Mr Sworld Active Member

Click on the contact, then click on the top bar of the contact. Click on the actual picture and you'll get a choice of selecting photos, camera, google or facebook as the picture.

10. DesireMe

Yeah, done that. And selected an image from the camera. Within hours, it will revert back to the facebook one.

11. SUroot

I wish people would read threads...

12. DesireMe

Ellaborate?

Your comment is pointless.

13. SUroot

It wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the 2 people who didn't read the thread properly and proceeded to give obvious advice even though the OP had stated he was already doing this - ergo not helping any of us with this problem.

Keep your hair on.

14. DesireMe

Ah, ok.

If i had hair i would. ;)

15. Mung

Mung New Member

Hello, I also have a similar problem.

I like profile pictures from Facebook. But after my contacts changed their pictures in FB, they've not been changed in my Desire.

I've synced for many times. Any idea? Thanks :)

16. SUroot

No worries mister ;)

Hope this issue has a fix soon. Or at least a work around.

17. SiO2y

SiO2y New Member

I'm experiencing the same problem but what I find most odd is that it doesn't happen for all contacts, only some.
    I have images assigned to a large number of my Google contacts and I had changed a lot of the contacts on my HTC Desire to use the Google image, rather than the Facebook one.
    I had thought initially that the contact photo might have been defaulting back to the Facebook image if the Facebook image was updated but that does not seem to be the case, but like I say, it isn't happening for all my contacts, just some, and there does not appear to be a pattern (or at least not one that I can spot).
    I have just upgraded to FroYo on Orange (with HTC Sense and Orange overlay) and tested the issue again and the symptoms are the same, some revert back after a sync and others don't.
    I categorically do not want to disable the synchronisation of Facebook images as I still the vast majority of my contacts to use the Facebook image as the contact photo, I just want the ones that I change manually to stay that way.

Any thoughts?

18. SUroot

The only fix I ever found for this was rooting and getting a custom rom. Haven't seen any decent fixes for this in all the time since this thread.

All I can say is I have no HTC Sense or HTC apps and everything is working perfectly now.