• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Contacts" is a mess...

admorris

Nov 26, 2009
Alright, a couple very minor issues I'm having that I can't get figured out. One, how do you edit someone's contact information who is synced with Facebook? It says that I cannot do this (seems odd that the phone would be set up this way) to a facebook synced contact. The second is, how do I manually sync my contacts to add new FB friends to my Droid contact list? Third (I know I said I had two), how do you create a seperate Family/Frienda/Coworkers list within the contacts program?

Much appreciated in advance!

Alan

Alright, a couple very minor issues I'm having that I can't get figured out. One, how do you edit someone's contact information who is synced with Facebook? It says that I cannot do this (seems odd that the phone would be set up this way) to a facebook synced contact. The second is, how do I manually sync my contacts to add new FB friends to my Droid contact list? Third (I know I said I had two), how do you create a seperate Family/Frienda/Coworkers list within the contacts program?

Much appreciated in advance!

Alan

You cannot edit facebook contacts as of now because of the syncing. You can however create a new contact and then join this with the desired facebook contact. THe join feature seems to be flakey and I can't quite tell when you can and cannot join.

Upvote 0
All you have to do is create said contact with the same name as the Facebook name ie: John Smith from facebook, you would create a new contact with the name John Smith.

This will automagically join them.

Haven't had a problem with this method yet.

Neither have I, but that still doesn't alleviate the problem for people who don't want "Robert Smith" as their contact. This comes up when you have your contact stored as "Bob, Bobby, or assface." Or say, when your friend puts "911" as their phone number on FaceBook, as one of my buddies did. Now I constantly have to make sure I am dialing the right number whenever I call this person. All because he didn't want to give his number out online? WELL IT'S MY PHONE

Upvote 0
Alright, a couple very minor issues I'm having that I can't get figured out. One, how do you edit someone's contact information who is synced with Facebook? It says that I cannot do this (seems odd that the phone would be set up this way) to a facebook synced contact.

What are you trying to edit that you can't edit? You can't edit what they put up, but you can edit what you put in you're phone. You can add, change, delete numbers/email addresses that you enter for this contact.

I, too, wish there was a way to manually link a FB contact.

Neither have I, but that still doesn't alleviate the problem for people who don't want "Robert Smith" as their contact. This comes up when you have your contact stored as "Bob, Bobby, or assface." Or say, when your friend puts "911" as their phone number on FaceBook, as one of my buddies did. Now I constantly have to make sure I am dialing the right number whenever I call this person. All because he didn't want to give his number out online? WELL IT'S MY PHONE

You can choose which number is the default for each contact.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I appreciate all the responses. My issue was that I somehow deleted a contact within my phone that was sync'd with FB...I don't even think this is supposed to be possible, but I did it. Anyway, I manually entered her back into my phone, but I basically wanted to know how to sync what I entered into the phone manually with FB, so I could have her contact pic. Make sense? I think I figured it out...I just logged out of my FB app and logged back in and it automatically sync'd at that time and all was good. Seems like a goofy process, but it works nonetheless.

thanks again,
Alan

I'll be happy when I can actually start helping people on here vs. constantly posting stupid questions :)

Upvote 0

I'm going to send you my drycleaning bill after snorting milk thru my nose.... Thanks for the laugh.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones