• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts issue

Hi everyone,
I had been using a Htc Tattoo up to last week when I upgraded to the Galaxy S.
T hedifference is like night and day, The Galaxy is the closest thing I have seen to mobile perfection yet. I have a few issues I
I have been searching the forum to find solutions to niggling problems but one problem I haven't seen mentioned is in relation to contacts.

I have imported my contacts from the Tattoo however many have lost their detail and need to be fixed. Annoying but a problem I accept as a result of changing phone manufacturers. My problem is that some of my contacts can only have very basic fields edited, a single field for name which has a very small limit on number of characters that can be entered. The only other fields are for phone number and email address.

Other contacts however have the full quota of fields including groups, gtalk, other numbers, business name, job title, notes etc.

Initially I thought it was that maybe only google contacts had these features but not so. It seems random, I cannot find any sense or paten to it.

With over 250, many of which I need for work, having the correct info is essential to have any hope of finding them. (particularly as the contacts search function is quite weak, I often resort to Gesture Search).

snapper.fishes said:
If you scroll to the bottom, at the bottom right is a button that says add more fields.

This option is only available in the contacts that already have the extra fields. The contacts I have the problems with do not have any additional options what so ever.

Is there a way to get all of your contacts out of the tatoo and into Google contacts?

All you would need to do then is set your mobile to sync with your google contacts.

When creating new contacts on my phone I always save them this way now.

I did sync with Google, as well as backup to Sim card. I then had quite a number of duplicates and after importing both but the Contact link option as been very handy in this regard.

What I notice is that in the call Log the name displayed is not always the same as the name in the Contact.

What I mean is I have my father in as "Dad" but it shows up in the call log as "Dad/2". There is no longer a contact called "Dad/2", I renamed it "Dad" after importing ie I removed the "/2" from the name field.
I know this is a hangover from the Tattoo but it shouldn't remain the same after I have edited the Contact.

Hopefully this is all just a firmware issue and will be solved with an update.

Thank you both for your input :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones