Contacts: Last Name/First NameSupport

Last Updated:

1. Rocko20

Rocko20 Member This Topic's Starter

So I want my contacts to be organized by Last Name and then First Name. I have Last Name First Name selected for Order of display name but its pretty random on how its organized. Some people will be First Name Last Name and some will be Last Name First Name. If I select FN/LN, then everyone will be listed like that but I do not want it organized that way.

Please help.

Advertisement
  2. olieebur

olieebur Active Member

Check your contacts that list as First Name, Last Name. They're full name may be listed in the First name line. Mine was all listed correct except one. Had their full name in one line and i corrected it and it was good.

3. Rocko20

They are correct so thats not the problem.

4. Rocko20

bump...

5. Rocko20

anyone know of the problem or a fix...???

6. wunderhoo

wunderhoo New Member

I had major problems with this myself, and believe I solved them, plus a related problem. I have had my contacts sorted Last Name, First Name on all of my devices always. Like: Smith, John. I found that with my Captivate, I must enter a new contact per the Captivate screen. Put the last name where it says to and the first name where it says so. But when entering a contact on the Google Contacts, I have to enter literally "Smith, John" as the name. For some reason , it just seems to work. Try that and let me know.
    Another thing I noticed was that if I had the exact same phone number under several contacts, the whole system got messed up and not all of them would sync. Anyone else notice this? I ended up deleting all of the entries where the same number (my office phone number) appeared, and just set up one contact called "office". That seemed to work
    I love this phone.

7. solarYogi

solarYogi New Member

On your contact list press the menu touch key then hit more and you'll find settings there. The first option is order of display name which sets first name or last name first

8. Rocko20

So I don't have any Google Contacts. The problem is the contacts that were transferred from my SIM card. If I link contacts with facebook and then choose their facebook name, it sorts them by LN/FN but if a contact doesn't have facebook, then it sorts that person by FN/LN. Now if I save a number directly on my phone, it'll sort that person LN/FN. Do I want to delete contacts and then re-add them so it'll sort the way I want...no that would just be a pain in the ass.

Read the convo before ever posting.........

9. Rocko20

bump

10. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

the way solaryogi explained it is exactly how I got it to work

11. Rocko20

So I'm the only one having this problem with their captivate?

12. OJWay

OJWay New Member

I had a Captivate for one month, then I switched to Epic 4G because I didn't like AT&T's coverage. SolarYogi's solution worked for my Captivate (in August '10), but it doesn't work for my Epic 4G (in September '10). Could this solution be device specific?