• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts losing assigned ringtones

Skytown

Apr 24, 2010
I have looked around for a fix but haven't found any yet. When I create trimmed ringtones via the htc trimmer and assign them to a contact, they will work fine until I reboot the phone. I tried some fixes like moving the ringtones to the SD card and that has allowed the phone to find them upon reboot but it will not put the tones back with the contacts. Is there a way to permanently stick the ringtone to the contact so they don't un-link after a reboot?

I have looked around for a fix but haven't found any yet. When I create trimmed ringtones via the htc trimmer and assign them to a contact, they will work fine until I reboot the phone. I tried some fixes like moving the ringtones to the SD card and that has allowed the phone to find them upon reboot but it will not put the tones back with the contacts. Is there a way to permanently stick the ringtone to the contact so they don't un-link after a reboot?

I am having same problem.

Upvote 0
I am also having this problem. I have noticed that after a reboot that the assigned ringtone to a contact is listed as "Default (76)" Instead of "Default" or "Around" etc.. The ringtone trimmer ringtones are still located on the device in <//emmc/.ringtonetrimmer/ringtones> and when tapped, open up in "Music". It just seems that the contact manager thru the OS looses the links to that folder upon a reboot.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed that sometimes more than one file of the same ringtone generated by ringtonetrimmer in "Music" is located there with suffixes of _01 & _02.

Dan

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. Also, I can't figure out a way to re-assign the trimmed ringtone back to the contact. This is a pretty big bummer.

When my wife called me last night, instead of playing the trimmed song I set up, it randomly took another music file from my phone, which just happened to be an audiobook file. It kind of freaked me out hearing a male voice in my house, when I was home alone with just me and the cats.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. Also, I can't figure out a way to re-assign the trimmed ringtone back to the contact. This is a pretty big bummer.

When my wife called me last night, instead of playing the trimmed song I set up, it randomly took another music file from my phone, which just happened to be an audiobook file. It kind of freaked me out hearing a male voice in my house, when I was home alone with just me and the cats.

Here is a fix I found that allowed my phone to find the tones so I could re-assign them. It might even help to stick them.

http://androidforums.com/649707-post21.html

Reactions: johnperkins21
Upvote 0
I had been having the same problem. Here's what I did and it worked.
1. attach phone to computer via usb.
2. open phones internal memory via your computer then go to emmc > .ringtonetrimmer > ringtones > if you already trimmed a ringtone the name should be here; if not go back and trim the one you want; then it will show up.
3. open sd memory and go to my music then just copy the file from above and put it here in the sd memory.
4. all of the above is done on your computer; except if you did not trim a song.
5. I tried shutting off phone then rebooting and the song stayed assigned.

Hope it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones