• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts 'Missing' after Gmail Password Change

bisbers

Apr 8, 2010
Morris County, New Jersey
GF picked up LG Ally, verizon rep transferred her contacts from her previous phone to the Ally - all was fine. A day later she needed to change her gmail password, which she did - the phone complained about a sync error, asked for her new password and gmail sync worked again. (So far the same as my Inc). After changing the password, she noticed that on the Contacts tab, only one person, herself, is displayed. Looking in the call log and performing searches, we see that all of the previous contacts are, in fact, still stored in the phone somewhere. I have tried changing which groups of contacts sync with the phone, pretty much everything with the exception of a factory reset. Anyone have any ideas?

I could probably have her go to vzw, have them reset the phone and transfer the contacts again. Once I do that, is there a recommended way of backing up / sending / etc the phone contacts so if this occurs again, I can restore them from somewhere?

I feel the problem may be the same as in the following thread, but there isn't anything useful there, hoping someone has any better ideas over factory reset.
http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/105283-am-i-ed-what-contact-not-saving-cache-not-clearing.html

It seems the add from gmail approach is the answer we've been getting on this one. I don't know, I've had the incredible since launch day and still haven't bothered to put contacts into the phone. (Just memorize the numbers).

We are going to take it back to the store with her previous phone, factory reset, have them transfer the numbers again, and then immediately push them to the SD card.

This is one of my motivations to root the Ally - so things like titanium backup or whatever will hopefully become options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones