Contacts Not Auto-fillingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. rcn5008

rcn5008 Member This Topic's Starter

First of all, I apologize if this has already been covered, but I was unable to find any information for someone having this problem using the search.

I am running 2.1 V3 and every time I try and formulate a new text message using the standard messaging application, the contacts field will not auto-populate suggestions when I begin typing someone's name (they used to come down in a drop-down list which I could select from). It has always done this before and I don't really know what changed. In order to send a message to anyone, I have to now click on the "person" icon next to the "To" field and wait an unbearably long time for the list to come up and then scroll to the contact I want and checkmark the person. I have tried restarting the phone...battery pulls...etc. Aside from a factory reset, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

In the 'not very helpful' area, I can say that it works OK for me. I'm also on 2.1v3, and while the standard messaging app is not the one I normally use, I just tried it and it did just what you said it should - brought up a list of matching names/numbers as I was entering the person's name. I looked for a setting that would control that, but didn't find anything likely. I also checked in Handcent and Chomp, which I also have on my phone, didn't see a likely setting there.
    Just for fun, what about installing a different messaging app to see how they work?

3. rcn5008

rcn5008 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks mhotovec for the response. As you suggested, I have since installed ChompSMS and it seems to be working fine. I'm not really sure what happened all of a sudden to cause no contacts to pull using the stock messaging app but for the time being I'll continue to use Chomp even though I'm not partial to it.

Oh well...I guess in a few months I'll do another factory reset like I do every once in awhile and hopefully it will correct itself.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Mine did that once and I noticed that it happened right after I backed out of the Message settings menu where I'd unchecked the "auto retrieve" box.

It never happened since then, and I did not go back in and restore the setting; it seemed to have been a temporary glitch moving from the settings to the message area quickly.